disco 2 steering lockstops

jonathan day

There is a service bulletin from Land rover to all Dealers stating that the 29mm streering lock stops can be changed for 23mm stops, thus improving the turning circle 9 inches for every mm taken off the stops. The change can be done FOC by your dealer or you can buy the stops for approx £3.50. :rolleyes:

Technical Bulletin 0026 CDS …. ref L8867bu …. & the 23mm lock stops. (manovering in tight spaces)

Cheers Aston

Given the turning circle (kerb to kerb) is a standard comparitor for cars you have to wonder why they went for the larger stops in the first place.

Also for those of us with larger wheels, wonder if the 29mm stops could be a better starting point than heavily screwed out 23s. Anyone tried this?

Given the turning circle (kerb to kerb) is a standard comparitor for cars you have to wonder why they went for the larger stops in the first place.

Also for those of us with larger wheels, wonder if the 29mm stops could be a better starting point than heavily screwed out 23s. Anyone tried this?

The longer stops were installed because if you remember when you purchased your Disco 18" wheels were offered as an option. :rolleyes:

If the longer lock stops weren't installed the 18' wheels would scrub the chassis. :angry:

Cheers aston

The longer stops were installed because if you remember when you purchased your Disco 18" wheels were offered as an option. :rolleyes:

If the longer lock stops weren't installed the 18' wheels would scrub the chassis. :angry:

Cheers aston

There were no options when I bought my Disco but I see what you mean :D

Ta

• 1 year later...

Part # is FTC5151 for the short ones (2 pcs required)

I think you can shorten the existing ones (careful with the thread). Or take out a lock stop and go to your local nuts&bolts shop and they'll help you find a 25 mm long one which you can shorten a bit.

Looked at mine last night and they are the 23mm ones with two washers under each one, for the 18" wheels, so i removed the stops and the washers and refiited the stop and it only touched very slightly on full lock one side, so i refitted one washer to each side which has done the trick, but i will have to keep a look out for thinner washers.

The thread is about 20mm long so plenty to play with.

Lynall