ooooops shouldnt of done that

tonko007

hi all i have recently been putting a new boot floor in :unsure: . but after drilling the inspection cover off :rolleyes: . i realised that i had 3 new holes in the tank :( they are only 5mm drill holes . would i be ok putting a pop rivet and alot of sealer in them or not suggestions plz . thanks :unsure:

I realise it's a tad late now, but slipping a short length of suitable tube over the drill bit with just enough visible to penetrate the drilled material, is always a good dodge when drilling near critical areas.

I'll go now, shall I? :P

as its a diesel tank and therefore your not looking at soooo much of a fire risk i would buz it up with the welder. but would only attempt it if your comfortable with what you are doing- make sure its full(less vapour to worry about but keep an extinguisher to hand) or ideally drop the tank away from the chassis drain it of fuel and fill it with water then weld it up-no vapour or flamables to worry about. you'll never seal a tank properly with any amount of fibre washers/screw/rivet combinations no matter how many you try.

im a wee bit crazy when it comes to welding tho so you may wish to listen to someone with a little more grey matter between there lugholes haha

andy

A pop rivet will be fine - just make sure it's blind (bull-nosed) rivet. I wouldn't weld it - diesel vapours are explosive, and I know that from personal experience/A&E/facial burns.

Rivets won't work on a plastic tank, and threading the holes for a bolt would make for a weakness that might leak again unless you can get your hand inside (through the sender hole) to attach a nut and washer. RTV sealant is fuel resistant, so use that as well.

Les.

But tonko doesn't say if it's plastic or steel for a definitive answer. ;)

It wouldn't matter with a self tapper and a washer but anyway I think all 300Tdi tanks are plastic?

If it is steel I wouldn't weld a fuel tank with fuel in under any circumstances unless the fuel was at least as gloopy as FFO!

Diesel goes bang when it gets hot, thats how the engine works...

thanks all its a plastic one by the way and i didnt realise the tank was so close :unsure: . never mine know for next time :blink:

so its not just me that has done this then!!!!!

just put a blob of silicone on a big screw and tightened it in!!

A friendly word of advise- Never ever fill a petrol or diesel fuel tank with water before welding it. Particularly if it's a petrol fuel tank it can and will probably explode with harmful consequences. Your tank is probably plastic anyhow, so get a hi-amp electric (no flame) soldering iron and plastic weld it using some model kit parts frame plastic as the filler. After you have finished filling it, rough it up a bit on the surface where you filled it, get some araldite and coat the area for an extra seal. Silicon available in my country at least reacts negatively (turns to jelly which you don't want in petrol or diesel) so i would not use that.

The safest way to weld a metal petrol tank is to either remove it and soak it in a caustic solution overnight, then pressure cleaning it before welding, or alternatively defume it with carbon monoxide from a cars exhaust for a long time to neutralise the fumes, again, please don't fill a tank with water ever before welding it.

Cheers