Indicator relay

I am trying to replace my indicator relay with an electronic from ultraleds to stope my flashers doing overtime.

I am not sure which is the right relay and Haynes does not help.

I could try just removing but reckoned this may be problematic. Can someone please suggest?

Also the new relay is three pin - will this work in my 90?

Thanks

Malcy

post-3029-1236417480_thumb.jpg

Thanks western

I now need to check if three pin originally (fingers crossed) but first need to do run to the dump in the Peugeot - they don't let Defenders in! - since have been running new Cat6 network cables through attic and have about two car fulls of rubbish to clear out from stuff that obviously had a point in keeping in the dim and distant past!

If it isn't three pin but four, any ideas what I do next?

Best wishes

Malcy

Hmm. Clearly not my day! The original relay unit is 4 pin, part number PRC8876. Putting the three pin electronic unit from ultraled does not work (it fits but does nothing). So I need to try and find a replacement 4 pin relay that will cope with LED indicators, and hopefully trailer too.

My big worry is whether fast flashing indicators is an MOT fail since The Beastie is going in on Tuesday for its MOT and I had hoped this electronic relay would have resolved the issue. I am determined not to go back to normal since the LED is much more visible and my attempts at fitting ballast resistors have failed so feeling a bit up a creek without an immediately obvious paddle. Initial searching for an LED replacement for the part have not given much hope but may need to dig deeper.

It is less of an immediate issue if not an MOT fail point.

Any pointers would be really appreciated - Ralph your link just took me to search pages. The only Hella I could see was 24v but on page 3 there is a part PRC8876 that says it is an electronic relay - does this mean it will cope with LED or is it simply that a relay is, by definition, electronic?

Puzzled and perplexed!

• 3 months later...

Slightly different question, similar thread.

Defender 90 300TDi (1996) - indicator relay was on its way out, started making funny noises and wasnt very periodic.

Just replaced it with a PRC8876 (aftermarket Britpart one), receipts from John Craddock says "...RRC WITH TRAILER SOCKET"

The old one was the original Landrover one with four pins, the new one also has four pins and fits and works ok.

Except the original one, used to flash the trailer light on the dash at the first flash of the indicators, but the new ones doesnt flash the trailer light on the dash.

The new ones works fine flashing the indicator left or right lights on the dash and outside of the vehicle fine.

(The vehicle has a trailer socket.)

What is the purpose of the first flash of the trailer light?

Should the new Britpart relay also do this?

Why is the new one not flashing the trailer light once?

TIA,

Jon

(The vehicle has a trailer socket.)

What is the purpose of the first flash of the trailer light?

Should the new Britpart relay also do this?

Why is the new one not flashing the trailer light once?

TIA,

Jon

- The flasher relay senses the presence of the trailer by measuring the current drawn as it flashes. It could be that the three bulbs (front, back, side repeater) are just enough (when cold) to pull enough to fool the flasher, but for subsequent flashes the bulbs are a bit warmer (higher resistance = lower current) so it doesn't get fooled again.

- I don't think it's a deliberate feature, but Western makes a good point (it's convinced me enough to edit my post)

- most cars have side repeaters = better adjusted settings?