EAS 'get home' question

MaxWatts

Hi,

I've just experienced the dreaded 'EAS FAULT: max speed 35mph' problem on my P38 1997 4.6 petrol HSE RR.

First stop - Google, and I've found tons of useful info, including stuff about 'EAS Kicker' and making up your own ODB-II to serial cable and resetting the problem with a laptop.

So far, so good, BUT... Among the zillions of threads stating, "this fix will get you home/to a garage, where you can have the problem fixed", etc... I can't seem to find anything on the 'net about how far the vehicle will go before the ECU dumps the EAS on to the bump stops again.

What if my home/garage is 200 miles away? Does anybody know just how long/far it will be before the ECU does the same, 'cos it's not worth shelling out for ANY hardware if the temporary fix is a matter of minutes, or 1 mile...

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

If you pull out the EAS delay timer (looks like a normal black relay underneath the front left seat) then the BECM can no longer operate the air suspension. Bear in mind there will be no self leveling or motorway drop etc all the time that this 'relay' is removed.

The warning messages and sounds will still be displayed but the valve block will not receive any signals.

The EAS Kicker is probably the most convenient way of solving your 'get me home' issue and of course you could always pull over and reboot the system as many times as needed to complete your journey.

Fix the issue that's causing the fault messages as a priority though. Most cases it's the pump that's worn out due to leaky airsprings. Replace the pump without replacing the airsprings and you've only got a limited time until the new pump gives up too.

Thanks for the reply.

I pulled the ECU connector and jumpered the system to lift each corner individually, after finding some great articles on the 'net.

You can actually hear the front nearside 'hissing', and it sinks oh-so-slowly, so I'm assuming it's the airspring leaking. I've sent off for a serial to OBD-II cable and I'm going to try reading the fault codes via software before shelling out for a kicker. Then it looks like it's it's renew the airsprings time...

The reason I asked the question was that I've only had the vehicle a week, and I bought it after a thorough inspection and road test, during which everything appeared fine.

I was wondering whether the guy that sold me the car could have bodged anything that would have lasted long enough for me to have been fooled and for him to take my cash, now that the purchase price is about to increase to cover the fix for this problem!

Thanks again,

Max

The airsprings aren't particularly expensive. If you have a hunt around on your favourite internet based auction site, you'll find them for about £70 each. At the very least, replace them as an axle pair but ideally do all four and forget about them for another 10 or so years.

I'm going to do precisely that! It seems that the rest of the EAS system is ok, so hopefully this will indeed give me a few years of 'no worry' motoring...

Thanks again,

Max

The airsprings aren't particularly expensive. If you have a hunt around on your favourite internet based auction site, you'll find them for about £70 each. At the very least, replace them as an axle pair but ideally do all four and forget about them for another 10 or so years.