Tyres size help

Warthog

Just picked myself up a 300tdi Disco and i want get a set of BFG's for it. What would be the max size to go without a lift? Plus the max size with a 2" lift?

Would a lift affect the anti roll bar capabilities? If i did do a 2" lift, i would use castor corrected Rads and Modded trialing arms. Comments welcome...

It will be my everyday drive and more of a shiny! But i just want it to have that larger stance gained by i good set of tyres. Plus atleast get to the odd event crossing a few fields without embarrassing oneself!

Cheers For any input

Depends who you listen to but 255/70R16 or 245/75R16 are about the biggest you can fit without a lift, they rub a bit on some vehicles and not on others, seems to depend on which day of the week it was built on.

2" lift not sure, but you may have problems with the anti roll bars turning themselves inside out (the back one anyway) if you lift it. If it is more of a shiny I'd forget the lift as it plays hell with the handling, better to stick with std height and just whop a chunky set of tyres on if that's what you want :)

You can go for a +1" lift that'll allow a little more clearance and should't affect the handling too much.

The problem with the anti rollbars can be sorted by spacing them from the chassis by the same amount as the lift you fit.

If you can get the solid alloy towhook spacers then they will do the trick and the bolt holes are the right spacing as well. ;)

If you go for the +2" lift and the corrected radius arms, you may find that these will set up a vibration in the front propshaft due to the increased angle that the U/j on the transfer box end is working at. The normal fix for this is to fit a Double Cardan propshaft from a TD5 which reduces the angle and takes out any "pulsing" from the propshaft. But that's another £200 +!!

They look like this.............

propshaft02_179.jpg

The other thing to think about is that the larger dia' you go on the tyre, the more it will effect the gearing of the vehicle and you may notice that it struggles to maintain speed going up hills. Your speedo will also read wrong as it's setup for the 205's but you can change the speedo drive gear in the transfer box to bring it about right. ;)

For more info on tyre sizes, have a look at this site, there's good info on there for you. :D

I have a 200TDI and i just fitted 255/70-16 BFG MTs. IMHO the transferbox struggles with this size tyres (so I'm glad I didn't go for the 85 profile tyres!)

I also have RR HD springs all round, but the i don't think this generates any real lift - especially not at the back!

Anyway, They do catch on the bodywork at the extremes of articulation, but for day today stuff and the odd muddy field I don't think you will need the lift.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers for the input,

I was looking at 235/75/R16 Bf Goodrich MT's. Now i assume i would need a lift or not? From the tyres sizes suggested above. 235/75's are smaller in diameter compared to suggested sizes, Correct?

RE: Anti Roll....So as long as i lower the Roll Bars the same amount as the lift, all should be O.k

Have my eye on 2" Ome Shocks and Springs, not sure whom to go to for Radius arms and Trailling arms though?

Thanks again...

I have pireli scorpion a/t 235/70/16 or 235/75/16[cant remember which] and standard suspension on 200tdi and they fitt no probs. The only prob I've noticed on them that they rub on full full lock, this can be corrected by adjusting steering stops. Will check on correct size tommorow. :Greg

I was looking at 235/75/R16 Bf Goodrich MT's. Now i assume i would need a lift or not? From the tyres sizes suggested above. 235/75's are smaller in diameter compared to suggested sizes, Correct?

If you look on the link I posted above then it gives the tyre dia'. If you take half the dia' and measure from the centre of the hub towards the wing on your Disco then you'll see how much room you'll have left. Saying that. the 235/75x16's aren't on there, although 245/75's are.

RE: Anti Roll....So as long as i lower the Roll Bars the same amount as the lift, all should be O.k

Yep, just space the rollbar chassis mounts and you should be fine. :)

Have my eye on 2" Ome Shocks and Springs, not sure whom to go to for Radius arms and Trailling arms though?
I would wait until you've done the lift & got the tyres on there to see what it drives like.

It may drive fine, in which case you wouldn't need the radius arms. If it wonders, "tramlines", has a much reduced self centering of the steering or generally feels unsafe then you're best to get a set of radius arms.

The trailing arms shouldn't need fitting unless you want extra drop on the rear axle for increased articulation. If you're not happy with the looks of the front trailing arm bushes (the big ones) then you can just fit a "kicker plate" between the chassis & the bush to angle it slightly. MM 4x4 sell them and they are on their advert in most Land Rover mags, although I can't see them on the website.

MM 4x4 also sell the radius arms & trailing arms as do Scorpion Racing, and QT Services do the radius arms.

I've fitted the Scorpion Racing ones on mine, both radius & trailing arms and had no problems. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Have my eye on 2" Ome Shocks and Springs

You could always find someone who's got a full set of brand new deCarbon +2" dampers, brand new +2" springs, brand new stainless steel dislocation cones, brand new extended braided steel brakelines, brand new heavy duty spring retainers and brand new extended bump stops and axle check straps that they've decided not to fit (and need to sell before the wife kills them) and you could save yourself a packet...

£400 for the lot if you're interested, save just over £100.

You might even be able to afford those gorgeous QT Services cranked radius arms then!

:D