Discovery Rear Load Area Dimensions

I'm looking for the dimensions for the rear load area on a Series I Discovery, with the rear seats down. Also, do the rear seats fold flat, or stick up at an angle?

I had a look via Google but couldn't find anything specific!

Thanks very much,

Mike

:)

Here's the relevant chapter from the owners manual to see how they fold:

post-1725-1236451227_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic with them folded (disregard the wood and aluminum bits):

post-1725-1236451303_thumb.jpg

They fold quite horizontal, the only thing is don't go level to the boot area.

The seats can be removed altogether if needed (some bolts to undo).

Which dimensions do you need?

- full length with the front seats in a driving position or tilted forward (i.e you need to drive the vehicle or sleep in)?

- which of the 2 dimensions in the below pic?

post-1725-1236451583_thumb.jpg

Excellent! Thanks for that. Much appreciated :)

You are one step ahead of me there! Sleeping space was exactly what I was interested in! It looks pretty much like my old Range Rover, which I suppose makes sense.

Ideally I'm interested in whether I would fit in with just the rear seats down (I'm 5'8"), preferably without removing rear seats. If the front seats need folding forwards then so be it, but ideally I would leave at least the driver's seat in its standard position.

Thanks again,

Mike

Its a bit short to sleep in with both seats still in. I am 6 ft and it is about a foot too short. I removed the smaller of the 2 rear seats (2 rusty 10mm bolts) and made a wooden extension to fill the foot well which gave somewhere for my feet to go and spent many a comfy night in there on a thermarest. With the longer seat and the rear dickies there was still room for 6 at a push if needed! I now have a commercial and have fabbed up a full double bed in the back with some cupboards and storage boxes and it all works well. Just need to finish the cushions off and get them covered.

I was thinking about a Commercial, but wasn't sure if I would be better off with a standard version. Is it possible to fit standard rear seats into a commercial, if required?

Have you got any photographs of your new set-up?

Thanks very much,

Mike

The ideal combination is a 5 door Discovery with front seats from a 3 door. The front seats can tilt a litle further and you get more room.

But there's enough room in a regular 5 door if you are 173 cm tall. It also depends at what height you'll set up the bed.

Wait till the evening and I'll get some dimensions for you. (I vaguely remember you can get 182 cm long bed at the level where rear load cover is).

I'm a bit taller and I used a different approach. Pics and details here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?s=&s...st&p=301675

My memory didn't fail me :)

With the front seat slid forward and the back rest tilted as much as it goes, there are:

- 182 cm at load cover level (as you can see in the pics I posted in the other thread), and

- 181 cm level with the folded back rest of the rear seats.

You should consider the usual LR tolerance, plus or minus 1 inch. This is what I measured on my 5 door '98 Discovery.

If you'll set up the bed on the LH side of the vehicle at the level where the boot cover goes (to leave the driver's seat on a RHD vehicle untouched so you can drive it any time) then you'll gain an extra 7-8 cm (3") from the tail gate (roughly the tail gate thickness where the window's bottom edge goes down). So you can have as much as 190 cm available.

The back rests on the rear seats don't fold perfectly horizontal but something like 5 degrees up. They go further down when you add some (your) weight though.

Hmmm, I'm just thinking about a Commercial now.

Has anyone got the measurements for the load area floor of the Commercial version, measured at floor level, i.e. without having to build a platform higher up?

Thanks,

Mike

I can get the measurements this evening when I go out to work on it. What I do know is that with the steel bulkhead in place it is still a bit short for sleeping. But it is only held in with about 6 screws so is easy to remove if you don;t specifically need it.

Okay thanks :)

You're taller than me, so I might get away with it! :lol: If I had a Commercial I would probably remove the bulkhead, if indeed it had one to start with.

Mike

wouldn't a series II disco provide more length for snoozing? IIRC they were longer than the 200/300's

I didn't know that. I think it will have to be a Series I for me though, unless something cheap comes up.

Mike