discovery 200tdi

jonno

hi,

i bought my disco 200 tdi about a month ago and have been pleased with it. 2 weeks ago the alternator light came on and gave me typical alternator problems so i replaced the alternator and everythings been ok untill thursday morn when it decided to not start,( the night before was bad weather and i was using wipers,heater,lights,radio etc).engine wouldnt turn only a clicking for a few seconds then nothing.also i had no central locking, alarm or electric windows though everything else works. so i bumped it down the hill and it drove fine till i turned it off. i put the battery on charge all night. next morn put the battery back on but it was exactly the same so i changed the battery and still it is the same i have to bump it when i want to use it.

so i have changed the alternator,battery and the battery earth looks ok and isnt loose and ive checked the fuses also it has a single button alarm fob.

any suggestions or comments would be apreciated.

thanks,jonno.

Oh dear, well it certainly sounds like the battery

You mention that you've tried another battery - was this a new one or could it be that you inadvertently have 2 failed batteries.

Once the vehicle is started and has run for a little while, will it turn off and immediately start again?

You also changed the alternator prior to having 'this' problem. I wonder if that is a coincidence..... Is it worth double checking that there isn't some kind of short circuit around this area??

Just a few thoughts..... :unsure:

Have you checked the starter motor?, it could well be either a siezed/very stiff starter bendix or a u/s solenoid, try connecting just the negative lead of jump leads (if you have) from battery negative to engine block to eliminate any earthing faults, hope this helps a wee bit.

Goz :D:D:D

i charged the battery ovenight and tried it again this morn and all i am getting is a clicking noise.tried using jump leads to earth battery but still the same. how do you test the starter motor?

Oh dear, well it certainly sounds like the battery

You mention that you've tried another battery - was this a new one or could it be that you inadvertently have 2 failed batteries.

Once the vehicle is started and has run for a little while, will it turn off and immediately start again?

You also changed the alternator prior to having 'this' problem. I wonder if that is a coincidence..... Is it worth double checking that there isn't some kind of short circuit around this area??

Just a few thoughts..... :unsure:

i have to bump it every time i want to start it even after an hours constant driving i am going to get a multi tester and check battery. if that tests ok then ill change starter motor but i cant see how a dodgy starter would effect elec windows an central locking.

i charged the battery ovenight and tried it again this morn and all i am getting is a clicking noise.tried using jump leads to earth battery but still the same. how do you test the starter motor?

let the battery stand overnight and then check it, voltage should be 12.5 v or more ..if low battery suspect.

With engine at 2-3000 rpm with everyting turned off check voltage at battery it should read 14.4-14.7v if below 14.4v faulty voltage regulator in the alternator.

check all voltages going to starter solenoid if all is ok then easiest way to check the starter is to remove it and place it in a vice then attempt to turn the bendix on the starter it should rotate freely if not it might need lubrication and freeing off.

let the battery stand overnight and then check it, voltage should be 12.5 v or more ..if low battery suspect.

With engine at 2-3000 rpm with everyting turned off check voltage at battery it should read 14.4-14.7v if below 14.4v faulty voltage regulator in the alternator.

i got hold of a tester today and these are the voltages

old battery is showing 12.5v

new battery 13.4v

with engine running it is 14.5v

so i guess new batt is ok and so is alternator and old battery not so good so next ill check starter motor snd see what voltage is reaching it

also i still have no central locking or windows working with engine on or off could it be caused by a faulty startermotor are have i been unlucky and had several problems appear at once?

just checked volts to starter motor

the large wire is reading 12.7v

the small wire 5.4v when the key is turned in the ignition

i have also noticed that the little red led on the dash for the alarm is constantly on

when trying to start it all i can hear is a clicking from the passanger side footwell

all i can do now is remove the starter motor and see if has froze up inside unless any one has any ideas what else to check or try

Is the clicking really loud, from the starter, or is it just a relay clicking in the passenger footwell?

If the alarm LED is on then I suspect the alarm is still on, and it includes an immobiliser which is killing your starter circuit.

thanks for the replyBowie69

the clicking is definately coming from the footwell inside the car and not from the startermotor

hte disco is a 1994 with a single button fob after reading other posts i thought that single button fob meant no immobiliser but it makes sense that the alarm is armed as i have also lost cental locking and electric windows aswell if it is alarm related what are my best options?

just searched the forum for alarm related probs and found an old post from someone having similar probs with an l reg disco but no one has posted a solution only that water getting into the alarm ecu under steering colum caused it which sounds right as my probs started after a heavy downpour

Take a wire from the positive battery terminal and touch it on the small terminal on the starter -if it cranks your battery & starter are fine, and the fault is either your immobiliser, ignition switch or a relay between the two.

I don't have a wiring diagram but I am sure there is someone on here that has ;)

just been and tried 12v to starter and it cranked over a treat so startermotor is ok and ruled out cheers for the the tip bowie69 that saved me removing starter motor tomorrow. so im looking at alarm ecu or relay

thanks to all who replied to my posts it is now starting ok and everything is working as it should. it turned out to be a corroded solodered joint on the fusible link which ran to the alarm box. i re-attached the link and everything is now working.

jonno. :D