V8's VS's TDi's in water.

daveyboy300tdi

Calling all V8 owners who use their disco's in water.

I've got a 300 tdi at the moment and would love a V8 on gas... the only thing that's restraining me is I use my disco at a few playdays which usually entails going through deep water, last time the bow wave was level with the bonnet.

I've heard of people waterproofing the dizzy's on V8's with rubber gloves and allsorts... Does this work? The missus would not be impressed if my disco cut out mid wade, especially if it was deep :blink:

Obviously I would fit a snorkel, just wondering what people have done and does it work?

Dave (tdi owner - wanting a V8 :rolleyes: )

V8's will go bonnet deep for brief periods without too much hassle provided the ignition system is in good nick (many aren't).

For prolonged/deep swimming though this is about the only real solution.

This sounds about right. My old challenge disco was a v8 and was mostly ok in water if you ran quality ht leads on it and ran a bit of silicon around the cap when fitting. I never fitted a raised air intake as it only makes you braver or stupid, can never make up my mind which! and it would run at bonnet height for long enough to do the job with the odd error when it comes over the bonnet briefly. If you want to run deep get a submarine!

Calling all V8 owners who use their disco's in water.

I've got a 300 tdi at the moment and would love a V8 on gas... the only thing that's restraining me is I use my disco at a few playdays which usually entails going through deep water, last time the bow wave was level with the bonnet.

I've heard of people waterproofing the dizzy's on V8's with rubber gloves and allsorts... Does this work? The missus would not be impressed if my disco cut out mid wade, especially if it was deep :blink:

Obviously I would fit a snorkel, just wondering what people have done and does it work?

Dave (tdi owner - wanting a V8 :rolleyes: )

My V8 LPG has a snorkel fitted, but not connacted, as the Gas conversion came with its own bespoke filter set which won't marry-up to the snorkel. Best to check when selecting your Gas conversion if it will run OK through the standard filter/snorkel assembly. Engine runs very smoothly on gas in all conditions though.

Silverbake

This sounds about right. My old challenge disco was a v8 and was mostly ok in water if you ran quality ht leads on it and ran a bit of silicon around the cap when fitting. I never fitted a raised air intake as it only makes you braver or stupid, can never make up my mind which! and it would run at bonnet height for long enough to do the job with the odd error when it comes over the bonnet briefly. If you want to run deep get a submarine!

I'm not too fussed about deep water! It's just now and again, I go in a big group and it's a case of when everybody else has done it :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to get peoples opinions with V8's so I don't buy one and it cuts out the first time I take it near water, the missus has been sat in cold water upto her waste before when I didn't have a snorkel, I've been threatened with divorce :lol::(

I still want a V8 ;)

When I've gone out greenlaning with my response group, I've had my V8 upto the top of it's wheels in water and didn't get a cough from the engine...as you can imagine, the CB was full of laughs and jokes about V8's and water...then all silent when I emerged on the otherside without her missing a beat..well..silent except for my own choice comments back :)

Saying that though, I am still plumping for a MS conversion just as soon as funds allow.

When I've gone out greenlaning with my response group, I've had my V8 upto the top of it's wheels in water and didn't get a cough from the engine...as you can imagine, the CB was full of laughs and jokes about V8's and water...then all silent when I emerged on the otherside without her missing a beat..well..silent except for my own choice comments back :)

Saying that though, I am still plumping for a MS conversion just as soon as funds allow.

Not a Disco but my 130 will cope (with the odd cough) with top of wheels & just creeping under the doors when wading through fords and thats had nothing done to it & nothing special in the ignition department. I wouldn't want to go any deeper in a Ford for fear of getting washed away :unsure:.

Colin.

I'm not too fussed about deep water! It's just now and again, I go in a big group and it's a case of when everybody else has done it :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to get peoples opinions with V8's so I don't buy one and it cuts out the first time I take it near water, the missus has been sat in cold water upto her waste before when I didn't have a snorkel, I've been threatened with divorce :lol::(

I still want a V8 ;)

It is only my opinion but i have only seen doom and gloom with gas on a v8. That is not to say they are not all unreliable (perhaps they are?) but the friends that used to run gas always had the bonnet open fiddling and hours were spent trying mostly in vain to get them to run just right. Again only my opinion but if you get a v8 just run it on petrol as unless you are doing high milage it will never pay back over the life of the car. Don't fit a raised air intake as it makes you get off your seat to see how deep that bit really is! Spend the money saved by not fitting the two above and spend it on getting decent sparks instead and have the last laugh as the water goes down your hero mates TDI dipstick and fills his "invincible" diesel with water. Only my opinion though :P