Slipping Diff? or Transfer box?

Today I was towing a fairly heavy trailer (A mini-digger on a plant trailer).

As I was reversing into my drive (in low ratio) the car started juddering really badly. I have to keep dipping the clutch to keep moving.

I have been having occasional problems when trying to reverse - a judder and clunk on reverse.

Can anyone help narrow down the problem?

Is it likely to be diff or transfer box?

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion of clutch. It kind of felt like a slipping clutch - but I had discounted that idea as it is only noticeable in reverse

Just so that I can get it straight in my head - what are the symptoms of knackered Tbox or diff? Is it just complete loss of drive? ir they either work or dont work?

In the case of the transfer box - When there is excessive wear on the gearbox ouput shaft it tends to clunk when either changing from forward gears to reverse....usually followed after some time by loss of drive as the worn splines on the shaft round off! Usually its gearbox thats the culprit,but the input gear in the transfer box can sometimes do the same but leave the gearbox output shaft intact.

Hmm ... now more confused :(

I now think it is more like Diff as JST's description isfairly accurate - loud knocking noise at same time as loss of momentum. Also sounds liek noise is coming from rear. So looks like new rear diff.

Is there any way to test it - ie jack up a corner - feel play etc etc

interesting. i had a similar problem today.

i was reversing down a gentle ramp and i felt something like multiple judders and when i clutch in, the truck rolled on beautifully. when i got to flat ground and tried to reverse some more, i had this judder again, so it's dip the clutch and later when i slowly released it, it was ok, so i could happily reverse.

moving off it's fine and i don't feel the clutch slip even up a long ramp and driving forward is not a problem.

if it was the clutch, won't it happen in both forward and reverse? or would the clutch wear out in a certain way which will only affect reverse?

interesting. i had a similar problem today.

i was reversing down a gentle ramp and i felt something like multiple judders and when i clutch in, the truck rolled on beautifully. when i got to flat ground and tried to reverse some more, i had this judder again, so it's dip the clutch and later when i slowly released it, it was ok, so i could happily reverse.

moving off it's fine and i don't feel the clutch slip even up a long ramp and driving forward is not a problem.

if it was the clutch, won't it happen in both forward and reverse? or would the clutch wear out in a certain way which will only affect reverse?

Mine used to do this, it would judder once things warmed up and did it mostly when reversing. I changed the rubber mounts on gearbox and engine and the problem went away...