Glow Pug stuck

Gozling2

Hi Guys.

Hoping I might get some advice from some of the more experienced Guru's on here.

I'll start by giving you Disco info: 1991 200TDI Manual, doesn't get driven as I'm going to renovate her.

Couple of weeks ago went to start her up (which I do bi weekly) just to keep the engine in shape, the battery was flat, which is not unusual for the old girl, recharged the battery and connected, she was still turning over slowly so attached my battery booster pack to the battery (connected correctly), turned the key and while looking under the bonnet saw no 2 glow plug start to glow red then pop out of the threaded body of the glow plug (which is screwed into the head), I turned off the ignition disconnected the power pack and luckily had tools to hand & cut the main feed to the Relay (glow plug), by this time the wiring from terminal post to relay and relay to glow plugs had fried, I have made a new harness, purchased a new relay and a set of glow plugs. (What caused the problem at this stage I'm not sure, but think that the relay failed and had a major short on my hands)

Whilst removing the old glow plug yesterday, the threaded body came out no problem but, the sleeved end that covers the heating element is still stuck down inside the head.

Now to my question, has anyone had this before and removed the broken piece with out head removal, or will the head need to be removed to get it out, I don't want to damage the head or the pistons so what would be the result if I tried to start her what are the chances of it slipping into the cylinder????.

Any and all advice would be most welcome.

Goz :D:D:D

How about a magnet?

How about a vacuum cleaner?

How about bluetac on the end of a stick?

How about superglue on the end of a stick?

By the time I got to the bottom I think I favour the superglue if you can find something that will go down inside the sleeve.

Steve

How about a magnet?

How about a vacuum cleaner?

How about bluetac on the end of a stick?

How about superglue on the end of a stick?

By the time I got to the bottom I think I favour the superglue if you can find something that will go down inside the sleeve.

Steve

Do not start the engine if the plug falls down inside the head you will f*** something up big time. One of our company Td5s at work dropped the end out of a glow plug while I was standing next to it idling and the noise it was made was unforgettable, and the cylinder head was completely knackered as a result.

Do not start the engine if the plug falls down inside the head you will f*** something up big time. One of our company Td5s at work dropped the end out of a glow plug while I was standing next to it idling and the noise it was made was unforgettable, and the cylinder head was completely knackered as a result.

That's one of the reasons why I've not started her up yet, I thought this might happen, I know that it is siezed in the head at the moment, but with the heat from start up thought it might loosen, but how many times do things like this work in youur favour, I don't want to ruin a good engine for the sake of a £20/30 headset.

Do you think that it could be drilled out?? or maybe a long easiout, possibly grasping at straws here but really not wanting to take the head off yet as it would be a while before I can re assemble it all again.

If you dont want to start the engine there is still another less drastical solution.

Take the injector out and make an adaptor from an old injector,change it so that

you can feed it with compessed air,the piston must be in TDC with both valves

closed (compression) and de cranckshaft blocked.

Attention the sleeve will leave his place with verry high speed,take precautions !!!

As the sleeve is blocked in the head it will never end up in the cylinder, the force

is only in one direction and that is OUT.

Many thanks to all those that have helped me by replying to this thread, I have found all your advice most helpful and has certainly given me quite a few very good idea's, once again many thanks , now does anyone have a couple of old injectors from a 200 TDI which I could have, :D:D:D;)

Goz