Muddy Tracks

Silverbake

Hi

I use my Disco (V8 with LPG) as my daily transport / commute vehicle but at weekends use it for forestry work. I run BF Goodrich AT's which are fine until I get into wet clay / mud, at which point everything grinds to a halt and out comes the winch. I'm interested in the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM but am concerned about extra tyre noise and EVEN lower mpg. Any thoughts please?

Thanks.

I don't think it'll be much of an issue tbh.

I mean Disco or LR's aren't really very quiet at the best of times so I can't see it really being an issue. Also BFG MT's are standard issue on quite a number of 4x4's around the world, so they are an acceptable tyre.

Also don't think mpg will be much of an issue. You're not going to massive extremes in terms of boggers with 2" deep lugs.

I've got BFG M/T's on a Disco that is used daily in the road...

...There is a noticebale increase in the noise level, but nothing excessive... imagine knackered wheel bearing level!.

...Oh god.. I hope My wheel bearings are ok!! Arf!

Go for it!

run a set of road tyres and a set of mud tyres on steelies?

get a nut gun and bottle jack + pair of axle stands for pit-lane fast change overs. ;)

OK James, here's where I show just how much I've got to learn: 20 years ago I had an ex WD LWB series 2A and managed fine with wheel changes with the help of a high reach jack (sadly now long gone). My current Disco came with a small bottle jack. I've got a pair of axle stands, but not a nut gun (I guess tht's not essential). What I don't get, is how I lift the Disco with such a small bottle jack? Even fully extended, there's no way it would reach the necessary chassis areas. Are you suggesting balancing the jack on an axle stand, or vica versa? All seems very precarious. I must be missing something obvious.

Silverbake.

OK James, here's where I show just how much I've got to learn: 20 years ago I had an ex WD LWB series 2A and managed fine with wheel changes with the help of a high reach jack (sadly now long gone). My current Disco came with a small bottle jack. I've got a pair of axle stands, but not a nut gun (I guess tht's not essential). What I don't get, is how I lift the Disco with such a small bottle jack? Even fully extended, there's no way it would reach the necessary chassis areas. Are you suggesting balancing the jack on an axle stand, or vica versa? All seems very precarious. I must be missing something obvious.

Silverbake.

I only use the bottle jack as a last resort but if you put it under the AXLE you wont need to lift the vehicle much if your just changing a wheel....

HTH

Brookers

The standard Disco/Range Rover bottle jack is perfect for wheel changes, as long as you put it under the axle, if you try to lift under the chassis there's no way it will reach high enough to clear the suspension droop even on a standard Disco.

Silverbake.

The standard Disco bottle jack should have a cup shaped U on it, this goes under an axle near to where the radius locates. You don't need to jack the whole chassis up as it'll cause the suspension to droop. Just jack the axle as per the manual.

Failing that, buy a trolley jack (£30-50) same idea, jack the axles not the chassis. But easier to use than a bottle jack.

Lastly if you have bumpers/sill protectors with attachments for a hi-lift jack then use one of those (£30+) but you will have to jack the chassis to get the wheels off the ground.

As others have said, the standard disco bottle jack is a two stage ram unit with the axle cup on the top...designed to lift the vehicle with the axle tube. there is plenty of lift on it to get your disco up in the air to change the wheel, although using mine to do it once (without an axle stand) the casing of the jack cracked and dropped the vehicle down. So I wouldn't advise one without a stand. but other than that, its perfectly capable.

not a chance I would advise balancing the jack on the stand! :)