Pickup

stuck

Hi all,

I want to convert my '88 four door into a pickup (going to loose the rear doors), while I work out what to do I was wondering if anybody had any pictures of how they've dealt with the roof pillars?

I know it's a long shot but I'd appreciate any pointers before I get carried away with the grinder!

Mick.

If you want to do it the easy way have a look at this, http://www.longranger.net/page4/page3/page3.html

I'm currently doing this to a Disco but the kit will fit a RR as well.

HTH

Brookers

Thanks for that Brookers, could save me a lot of work!

If you don't mind could you let me know what's in the kit and how much it costs? (PM me if you prefer)

Many thanks,

Mick.

Thanks for that Brookers, could save me a lot of work!

If you don't mind could you let me know what's in the kit and how much it costs? (PM me if you prefer)

Many thanks,

Mick.

Had a look at that link and it looks like the back has been reduced so check before you go that route.

Having said that the retention of a load bed will most likely mean you only have to do the commercial SVA which is no where as strict as the normal SVA. You will have to get a new VIN number from DVLA and stamp it into the chassis before it goes for SVA

Steve

The kit is just the cab roof and rear pannel so it's up to the owner if they shorten the rear or not. With mine im leaving the chassis full length with a tray back, Disco and RR don't have full width rear cross members. Lift it, fit big tyres and you will only have a small overhang at the rear. With mine i'm going with a Southdown tank guard to protect the fule tank and if it does land on anything is should slide over :ph34r:

Brookers

The kit is the GRP pannels for the roof and rear of the cab. The pictures shown are the motors built for customers. When Longranger do the conversion they are normally starting with a regular Disco (read rotten!) so they cut out and replace, while they are at it they replace the sills with box and add the bars.

I have no connection to Longranger other than having bought their kit. So far its sat in the garage while I finish the welding but i'm impressed with the pannels and their finish. I cant comment on the fit yet but on a dry run it all looks ok.

Brookers

Ok, so if you were to do the conversion you would find the same as I did (Dakar) that the sills are completely rotten.

Dakars solution is to cut away the sill completely so you are just left with a sheet floor (repaired where required).

They then have a welded frame that forms both the sill and a step which fits under the sheet floor and mounts onto the existing chassis outriggers so that you have not modified the chassis in this area.

Steve

Was at a loose end today so got the grinder out!

Roof pillars are now removed, tail gate moved forward and riveted in place.

Hoping to get the plasma out tomorrow and chop the roof :P

Mick.

Any photos? ;)

Have welded the pillars, cut and welded the roof back together so it's time to think about paint.

Although I have the equipment to spray it I have never done it before, apart from brush painting it are there any other options?

If not is their anybody in Lancashire that is willing to teach me how to spray? :blink:

Beer tokens available B)

• 2 weeks later...
Stuck,

I suggest you allow for a window betwix the 'B'-pillar and the rear pillar to allow you to see at junctions!!!

And you get extra adjustment on your seat.

Thanks Clive,

Already done that, I'm not especialy tall (6') but couldn't fit in without the middle section :rolleyes:

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick up date:

mypickup.jpg

Not the best picture in the world but you can see the general idea!

Just got to sort the paint work (any suggestions?) drop in the 4.6 and fit a cage! :rolleyes:

Mick.

Sorry if you get a sore neck!

thats looking really good mate

what wheels and tyres have you got on it as they are what i want on mine

Thanks!

Tyres are 35" Creepy Crawlers, wheels are just plain black steel modulars.

Can I ask what colour the truck in your avatar is please? I like it a lot, it's subtle just like me!

Mick.