300 tdi valve stem oilseals

sting

just done headgasket on 300 tdi disco,leaking oil with slight chuffing sound,replaced using gen headgasket and bolts also had head skimmed,got engine fired up and seems fine,no nasty noises,heater nice and warm and starts up and idles fine,only problem has slight misfire i think what clears itself,and sometimes followed by blueish smoke,what could this be?valve stem oil seals?injector?or turbo?.if oilseals can these be done with head on?compressed air into cylinder bores????and is there a removal tool for such a job.please help..ps couldnt be a breather pipe?egr still connected.

I have done exactly the same as you have,and have the same problem.Im certain its the stem seals on the front most cylinder on mine as when i removed the glow plug at the front it was oilly on more than one occassion.I did ask the question if it was posible to change them with the head on but I cant remember if it was on here or not.If I remember correctly I was told that it was possible but difficult and you would have to make your own compressor.I couldnt wait for them to arrive so reassembled it and thought I would try at a later date,really wish I hadnt now.If you find a way thats easy post it up,as I for one dont want to take my head off again.Oh and someone also told me (I think) that you have to be real carefull with the collets dropping deep into the bowels of the engine and causing major problems.Best of luck mate.

You can do it with the head on. With the relevant piston at TDC - the clearance between piston crown and valve is very small. You will have to make a compressor though, but a simple fork that pivots on a bolt is all you need. A lost collet half will most likely just end-up in the sump, where it'll stay, but it's possible it could go inside one of the lifters and trash it or on the cam sprocket (oil/vaccuum pump drive)and cause some rather expensive damage. A magnet close by will prevent that from happening though. Take the manifolds off and look inside (you'll be able to see the valve stems), if one or more is heavilly coked-up (exhaust), or very oily (inlet), then that may well be your problem. Another way is start the engine after it's been off all night, then immediately switch it off and take the glow plugs out - if any are oily, then again - stem seals.

I would much rather take the head off - it's fiddly as hell with it on. Peasey is just being lazy :rtfm:

Les :)