New Army 4WD

Bill Wright

I was up at Braunton Burrows in North Devon yesterday and came across 4 army 4WD vehicles apparently being tested in the sand dunes there. Couldn't get much out of the crews except that they were 5.9 litre diesel engines, (probably V8 by the luvverly sound)and that they were very thirsty and that they didn't come for the Royal Marine camp just down road.

Didn't have the camera but these were about the same length as a 101 FC but much bigger wheels (on the corners so no overhang), double roll bar behind the drivers position. They appeared to have no windscreens or fittings for them. The drivers position (no cab as such) had no roof and the cargo area was covered in a loose canvas tilt which revealed only the contour of the spare wheel mounted along the left side of the body. It had triple smoke canister dispensers on each side of the cab area. Whatever they are they're very powerful and agile, capable vehicles in the right hands. They looked very 'chunky'.

Anyone know what they might be. They were delivered to the area each in 20 ft steel container on a military truck and trailer unit.

Bill Wright

S3 Diesel chassis up rebuild

RTV on RR chassis (building)

Honda Pan European (2004)

• 2 weeks later...

i dotn reckon they were Pinz, they dont run 5.9 diesels either, but as you state could be a variant of. unlikely though prob for some specialsit unit.

Pinz 6x6 i reckon is the way MOD will go when HS runs out.

Pinz 6x6 i reckon is the way MOD will go when HS runs out.

Pinz 6x6 is already in use as a [crash rescue ambulance ] Trauma managment vehicle on airfields & R N explosive disposal teams have them with big inflatable boats on a roof rack, these replaced 110 SW's

the vehicle/s you saw could be on trials with ATTURM over at Instow, they have all sorts of wierd things on wading/amphibious trials.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone list the major changes the current British military Pinzgauer has undergone since the earlier 2.5 litre aircooled,petrol powered, drumbraked model that we in Australia got in very limited quantities in the 1980's?Having witnessed the very ordinary performance of these models both 4x4 and 6x6 in offroad trials compared to properly sorted LandRover and Landcruisers with difflocks, I am of the opinion that there is little in the Pinzgauer platform to excite cross country vehicle enthusiasts from a pure offroad ability viewpoint.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone list the major changes the current British military Pinzgauer has undergone since the earlier 2.5 litre aircooled,petrol powered, drumbraked model that we in Australia got in very limited quantities in the 1980's?Having witnessed the very ordinary performance of these models both 4x4 and 6x6 in offroad trials compared to properly sorted LandRover and Landcruisers with difflocks, I am of the opinion that there is little in the Pinzgauer platform to excite cross country vehicle enthusiasts from a pure offroad ability viewpoint.

Bill.

Broughton Burrows is one of the testing grounds for the SAS to train there guys in desert conditions, i know the truck you are referring too but when i asked them about em they were cagey fair enough :ph34r: there like a mix of a stripped down unimog with a roll cage for a waepons paltform, they have a hell of an engine in them from what i could hearthey move them around by DROPS and iso containers ;) As my little wolf i was driving round there was puny compared to em :lol::lol::lol:

I know it has already been mentioned, but it sounds most like a Supacat HMT to me. http://www.supacat.com/hmt%204x4.htm

The SAS have recently bought some of these. They are bit of a big buggy looking type vehicles, and air portable, so would be small enough to fit in an ISO container. Had quick look on the web but not suprisingly couldn't find anything sensible about their role with the UK MOD.

I know it has already been mentioned, but it sounds most like a Supacat HMT to me. http://www.supacat.com/hmt%204x4.htm

The SAS have recently bought some of these. They are bit of a big buggy looking type vehicles, and air portable, so would be small enough to fit in an ISO container. Had quick look on the web but not suprisingly couldn't find anything sensible about their role with the UK MOD.

looking at the super cat that looks the same just more stripped down with no cab doors etc etc :blink: loverly i want one :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone here know how long Ford will be prepared to make military spec LandRovers ? The 2007 Transit engined Defenders in theory at least appear to be more suited to Military uses than TD5 engined predecessors, but I have heard that Ford beleive that the varying international military requirements are more of a pain in the ar$e than the contracts are worth.

Bill.

Guest WALFY

Bill

Got a mate who works in Hereford and he seems to be on the understanding that LR days are numbered, for their use anyway. He wouldn't elaborate any more than that.