Cordless rattle guns

mickeyw

Hello All,

I have been looking at 1/2" drive cordless rattle guns for a while now, firstly 'cos they're handy when you're away from home, but also 'cos I am getting pee'd off tripping over airlines in the garage all the time. Oh and my compressor struggles too.

What models do you use and are they any good? I would like something that can cope with removing a tight LR wheel nut and other large bolts, which seems to be a lot to ask of some of the cheaper models out there.

I have looked at Sealey, Clarke, Draper and many similar priced brands for anything between £100 and £250 but I'm not convinced (based on various reviews online) that they'll live up to their claimed performance. Battery quality seems to be variable too. Snap-on and the like really are out of my price range, I am not a pro user.

I have also looked at the Milwaukee 28V gun that Screwfix have on clearance currently. With the 10% off vouchers I keep getting it's still £370 which is big money for a DIY tool.

There's a number crop up on ebay second hand, mostly Snap-on and Facom stuff, but they still go for high prices, and they are of course always a gamble.

Recommendations please gents.... make, torque (claimed) and £ would be good.

Thanks in advance.

I have the milwakee one, and use/abuse it for a variety of tasks!

Including very large self tapping bolts to go through fence posts and railway sleepers (set a bosch drill on fire previously)

Would recommend it.

I only have experience of Snap-on. Good piece of kit, but would never shell out for one myself though!

I have a 2' breaker bar to loosen/tighten and a 1/2" sq drive extension which I have adapted to fit a fairly meaty cordless drill for the rest.

Haha so I'm not the only one to have done that :P I just want a bit more POWER :ph34r:

I have a Sealey 24v rattle gun. It's supposed to be rated to 325ft/lbs of torque, but I don't think it goes that high. I use it every day and am happy with it. The battery doesn't last very long as well - I have to charge it almost every day.

Les.

we use the new 1/2" snapon guns at work no trouble with m20 bolts and sized 3/4 whitworth

they can tighten well past 250nm and they last most of the shift on one charge approx 40+ bolts on and off

and they can get the wheel nuts off my transit without the big bar.

lots of money but worth it

I use the 18v DeWalt rattle gun.

It can be defeated, but has proved reliable and just takes the p**s when taking props and gearbox cross members off.

With wheels nuts, its not quite man enough, I just crack them before using the gun.

Mine came with 2 x NiMh 2.6Ah batteries and a 30min charger, all in a case, for a smidge under £300.

I have a Sealey 24v rattle gun. It's supposed to be rated to 325ft/lbs of torque, but I don't think it goes that high. I use it every day and am happy with it. The battery doesn't last very long as well - I have to charge it almost every day.

Les.

Les, how does yours fare with wheel nuts? Any idea of the model number?

Thanks,

The generic cheap ones on Ebay generally look like this one with a variety of brand names on it. I've got one - fully charged it'll crack a LR wheelnut but otherwise they can need 'help' with a breaker bar first. As an assembly tool and nut runner it's brilliant and I will replace it with the same when it dies.

hi

i bought this Clarke one a year ago and its been good making life easier, some of the time you need to crack bolts off first with the breaker bar but i didn't expect it to as it was bought mainly to save time running bolts in and out e.g. sumps, timing cover etc. The battery lasts about a day of on off use but you get two with the gun so hopefully you will always have a charged spare.

HTH

matt

I've been using the DeWalt 18v for a couple years now running on their 2.4ah batteries. It has proved reliable although a little noisey ;) (the drive unit)

The batteries do take an age to charge though, even through the quick charger supplied. I definately wouldn't go any lower than 2.4 ah

The cheap ones from Ebay used to be supplied with 1.4ah batteries, not sure what they come with now though.

The Sealey cordless guns come with Panasonic batteries as standard and also have the lifetime guarantee.

Haha so I'm not the only one to have done that :P I just want a bit more POWER :ph34r:

I have a bosch one, 14.4 volt, not powerful enough what you have in mind but the bigger ones might, good battery power for the one I have, did you consider an electric one? I also have a hilti 110 volt one which is very good.

ive got the snap on one thats listed above about 400nm roughly.

its the best thing ive ever bought its as much of a revilation as the cordless drill was 25 years ago. it effortlessly spins out front pulley/crank bolts with ease, the battery on mine lasts forever and only takes about 30 mins to charge.

best ever, go treat yourself.