Heath Robinson eat your heart out

bishbosh

I'm also impressed simple idears always the best.......... 16 dia bar?

laterial thinking

We have lots of people coming to our yard looking for "off cuts" "anything in your scrap bin mate" PITA to me can't let anybody fish bits and bobs out for them selves insurance

Generally the cost depens on how much they annoy me at the time ............... please bear in mind the we have approx 2 hundred tons of steel in our yard

Steve

from tape measure looks to me at about 12 mm. :huh:

wasn't it archimedes who said "give me a lever long enough and I will move the world?"

Yeah but he never thought of what to use to lever against - use the Moon and it will move first, and anyway you'd need something to put your feet against as well and if you used the sun you'd set fire to your shoes. Plus there is the inertia of what would be quite a long lever, and even if you could stick the moon to the milky way with superglue or something to stop it moving, over a distance of 93 million miles (assuming you could find some fireproof wellies) you'd probably find the lever had more than 6 feet of bendiness in it so you wouldn't in fact move anything, and it would come up and whack you under the chin instead, a bit like a sort of giant cosmic Hi-Lift jack. Old Archie was not a very bright chap when you consider the practicalities of this particular task :rolleyes:

Bish explained this one to me last night in the pub. Basically he only gets stuck in easy places so it won't be hard for him to get recovered. Someone will stand directly in front and manually pull on the doglead that he'll attach to the front. If there are any angles he'll use one of those extending 'winch' type dog leads around a tree, or just get someone to push. If he gets too stuck it'll use too much petrol and might make him spit the dummy again...

Tonk,

It is 16mm bar and sticks out by 55mm.

If they bend I will replace them with two hoops that are bent togther and welded.

I have some 20mm (may be bigger actually) bar but didn't fancy the double hernia trying to bend it "my way" :lol: .

For less than 20 quid I'll see how they go...

i used to use 16mm, obviously the more they protrude then the easier they will bend, i now use 20mm but bent whilst hot (not me, the bar :rolleyes: ).

also if u weld them to the front of bumper at an angle then when u pull sideways the pull will come from the end of the loop, ie closer to the bumper. obviously u're welding has to be strong though.