1/2 Buried Train Station Near Hinton

binch

I was toying with the idea of heading into the 1/2 buried train station on the Sand flats of Brule lake (just west of Hinton) this weekend. Do a bit of camping and see what bears I can harrasse. Anybody been in there in the past few years??? Going to try the access down below the Overlander Lodge as it suppose to be pretty fair...Famous last words.

Who's been in there lately???

cheers, Bill

Purely out of curiosity.  What's the story on the 1/2 buried Station?  Sounds intruiging.

Hey Des;

Just one of those weird Alberta place names.............. see below :)

ALBERTA:

Bearberry

Beaver Crossing

Big Stone

Buffalo Head Prarie

Carrot Creek

Czar

Entrance

Flyingshot Lake

Goodfish Lake

High Level

John D

Keg River

Legal

Little Smokey

Meander River

Medicine Hat

Meeting Creek

Milk River

Mirror

Nojack

Onefour

Paddle Prarie

Pelican

Purple Springs (founded by I.P. Nightly?)

Rocky Mountain House

Rosebud

Seven Persons

Sexsmith

Stand Off

Tiger Lily

Tomahawk

Two Hills

Valhalla Centre

Veteran

Viking

Vulcan

Wandering River

Westward Ho

Wild Horse

Wood Buffalo

and here is the Canadian "Big list:

http://durtydan.paintballresource.org/www....cc/unusual.html

Okay...I'm back, I've found the 1/2 buried train station (or should I say the old Brule Lake train station) and I've found the access down to the sand dunes and the river. As a bonus I've found the through route from Hwy 16 to Hwy 40 which hasn't been in use since the area was logged a bunch of years ago, as Hinton Camp 1. What a great weekend of playing!!! Added a few more brush scratches to the Discovery but what the hey....why have it if you ain't gonna use it right?!?!

I also found at least 5 sites suitable for a back country camp sites, large enough to hold 10-12 vehicles and tents. Some of them you can even take your camper into without any damage. A right fun play ground that!!!

Now.....let's just see if I can organise a LR weekend out there....

cheers,Bill (pics to be posted soon)

Okay, step two is done. I have uploaded all the routes from my gps to the computer and now have all the routes transferred to 1:50 000 NTS maps. There is still a bit of "junk" to delete but the routes to down to the beach and the sand dunes is available, as well as the route to within a 100 yards of the Old Brule train station that is more then half buried by the blowing sands. Also have some other routes in the area (part of my recce for the access to beach and station) that definitely fall under the heading of fun. Most are farley none damaging for the vehicle body but a few will leave some brush scratches on the paint surface (not the metal though). There are many more routes in this area (about 35-40 square miles) and loades of random camping spots. I'll transferr the same info onto some aerial/satellite photos for future reference.

So....If I organise a bit of a LR gathering here....will they come????? ;)

next step....upload a few pics of the area. It's hard to get good photos when I have to drive it too. Need auto pilot!!!

cheers,bill

Hey Dave, check out "Google Earth" and you can see what I'm using for my photos. It's pretty nifty little piece of work. Not the best resolution in the toolies but the cities are pretty good. And you can change your view to low angle oblique and then pan across the map......kinda like sitting in an airplane flying across the terrain. Landforms come across as 3D but buildings still stay flat on the ground. Give it a try...I think you'll like it. The routes are transfered from my GPS to my computer where I have my topo maps.

But fun it is.

cheers, Bill

Thanks Me He and Bill;

I live in the boonies and only have dial-up......hell i could drive to Calgary for a look in the time it would take to download that stuff :) :)

Fly across the map? I used to do that sort of thing.......fly i mean .......... :)

Closed!?!? was that a temporary closure or a permanent one???? That was a good area to play but rather heavily used without any rehab work done on it. hmmmmmmmmm what's next.

cheers.Bill

I'm afraid the only natural rehabilition that will work on some of those trails will involve a wide track D7 or D8, followed by a picker truck and some great big rocks. It's too bad that such a great area was left to go for so long before they decided to limit the damage. There is so much opportunity for long term use but the users must accept the majority of the responsibility here and take a hand in fixing the damaged areas. If we work with the system we stand a better chance of keeping these little gems open and in great shape for future use.

We can only hope they decide to bring it back for off road use......we'll have to wait and see I guess.

cheers,bill :(

• 2 weeks later...