4.6 Rover V8 (Manual??)

Tom.H

Hi guys.

I am considering fitting the 4.6 V8 Rover engine to my 404 unimog. I am taking the old cab off the vehicle and as a result the physical shape and size of the engine is less of an issue.

After doing some research I have found the 4.6 fitted in the P38 range rover only came with an auto gearbox; but as I am planning to fit the engine to the standard 404 manual gear box I feel that an issue may occur.

The engine is basically the same as the 4.0L apart from the crank stoke being longer but I don’t know if it would be possible to use the clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel from a 4.0L.

Therefore if anyone knows it would be great if you could let me know. If anyone else has any other option which would be easier it would also be great if you could tell me.

I suspect that I will either be getting an adapter plate or completely new bell housing made so that the engine can meet (Due to the stand 404 bell housing being an extremely odd shape).

Finally does the 4.6 V8 Rovers have any issues or is it just as reliable as all the other Rover V8’s

Thanks

Tom

The only problem I can think of is the reluctor ring. The distributorless engines use a reluctor ring on the flywheel to drive a crank position sensor and I can't think how that would function/fit with a manual flywheel.

If you're not intending using the factory ECU this isn't too much of an issue though as you can fit a 36-1 toothed wheel to the front and use Megasquirt or one of the commercial ECUs to drive it. You can either use Megasquirt to drive the original coil packs or use a second EDIS ECU to control the ignition if you're not wanting to use all the features of Megasquirt.

If it were me starting afresh with that build I would be looking to put in a Chevy engine. They make way more power and torque for less money.

A good 350ci small block will be producing about 350hp compared to about 200 for the 4.6. If space is not a problem then a big block will treble the power of the 4.6.

Talk to Kennedy engineering in the states for an adaptor plate.

Steve

Thanks for you help. I came across this video on YouTube:

Although it is a tuned 4.6 I think it’s relatively easily to say that he is running a manual box (due to the gear changes), although I may still be wrong.

I’ll be contacting v8 engines anyway just to make sure and also ask how they went round doing it (Its hope anyway)

As for why I've chosen a Rover V8 instead of anything else:

Is because I don’t want to go too other the top with both horse power and torque. This is partly because I will be using and keeping the standard transfer box and gearbox. I don’t really want to send huge amounts of power through the drive train and quickly find out I have to upgrade everything else to handle it.

Another reason for choosing a rover engine is because there are far more spares around in the U.K for these engines than anything else (I feel). As a result if I have any problems I expect that quite a few people will be able to help me out.

Thanks

Tom

There were 4.6 manuals although they're rare, but you can just bolt all the bits from a 3.5 or 3.9 to the back of the engine and it fits - my 4.6 is connected to an R380 box with a 3.5 flywheel and clutch.

If by "contacting V8engines" you mean you're going to buy anything from RPI then for heaven's sake don't bother.

I’ll be contacting V8 engines (RPI) just to ask how they went round fitting the 4.6 to a manual box. Saying this I’ve really already been told everything I need to know; for now. (So don't worry I would be buying anything ;) )

From other sources I heard that I would have problem with the replacing the flywheel as the 3.5/4.0L is milled differently and therefore not changeable with the 4.6. Another problem I was told I would have was with the crank sensor (but to be honest I got confused after that)

‘Fridge Freezer’ as you have done this conversion is it as simple as just bolting on a complete 3.5/4.0L setup or will I have to be prepared for some complication to occur.

Many Thanks

Tom

I’ll be contacting V8 engines (RPI) just to ask how they went round fitting the 4.6 to a manual box. Saying this I’ve really already been told everything I need to know; for now.

Err, yes. I don't quite understand why you'd phone RPi to have smoke blown up your ass about something you've just been told exactly how to do :huh:

There is a locating dowel on the 4.6 crank that needs to either be pulled out or ground down, then just bolt the whole gubbins (flywheel, clutch, gearbox) from the V8 of your choice to the back of it. You might want to blank off the crank position sensor hole (opposite side to the starter motor) or you could just leave the sensor there disconnected.