breather question

timmymac

hi im wanting to build a wading kit for my 3.9v8 auto i was going to get connections for

both axles

gear box

transfer box

would i benifit from a bellhousing breather ?

and from reading through the other threads i gather i dont have any wading plugs to worry about?

cheers

All those items apart from the bell housing already have breathers on them so all you need do is find the ends and extend the pipes higher.

You will also need to fit a breather to the vent at the back of the nearside rocker cover.

You will also need to seal the auto box dipstick.

What makes you think you don't need wading plugs?

Steve

i read on another wading thread that a v8 auto didnt have any wading plugs? i have the engine a box out so will run new pipes and connectors to those, is it best to tap a push fit connector into the rocker cover, and would i benifit from a breather in the bellhousing.

The existing fitting on the rocker cover probably has a foam filter on it but when stripped down the tube into the cover has a very small hole so that not too much air is drawn in by the crank case ventilation system. If you replace it with a push fitting you may want to make some sort of restriction in the pipe.

I see no reason to vent the bell housing. My auto has a wading plug but even when fitted water will still get in unless the engine was fitted to the 'box with sealant and the bell housing cover also fitted with sealant.

Steve

I chopped the head off the mushroom breather thing and put a 90deg compression olive fitting onto it so you keep the restriction. The V8 doesn't have any other breathers I can think of, not sure about the autobox but can't think of any there either. LT230 will need one, 1/8" BSP elbow and some push-fit hose, likewise for the axles.