ZF74 on V8

minivin

Another good one, going hydraulic winch route in the near future, as well as fitting a 3.5 V8, so thinking how I can squeeze all this into my SIII 109

At present the 109 has a 2.5NAD and looking down at the alternator we have this scenario:

DSCF1871.jpg

Since I'm also going for a TIConsole-esq steering PAS ram I need the standard PAS pump for this, I was planning to keep the standard V8 PAS pump for the steering, and fit the ZF74 underneith as such:

DSCF1872.jpg

I believe the bracket is for a 200TDi and to mount on top of the dizzy case (the accessory mount point), I aint got any issues with chopping it and was thinking of taking it off at the bottom two timing cover bolts (one is already being used for the V8 PAS bracketry), and then a support strut upto a lug that is above the engine mount which has a hole through it on the longitudinal axis of the engine:

DSCF1873.jpg

Any comments on this, I know there is a mounting set-up for an alternator in this area instead of on top, but aint seen it in front of me so don't know whether it can be utilised or not

Forget the ZF pump and fit a propper pump on a PTO, you will probably do it later anyway so better off doing it straight away. You will not regret it, I use the ZF as well actually to enable me to winch in gear without the wheels moving, i.e. to take up strain etc without the need to move the transfer in and out of gear. For anything but the odd recovery the ZF is painfully slow, but a strong setup if you have time.

Regards,

Lara.

Forget the ZF pump and fit a propper pump on a PTO, you will probably do it later anyway so better off doing it straight away. You will not regret it, I use the ZF as well actually to enable me to winch in gear without the wheels moving, i.e. to take up strain etc without the need to move the transfer in and out of gear. For anything but the odd recovery the ZF is painfully slow, but a strong setup if you have time.

Regards,

Lara.

Unfortunately since I'm doing a LT77/Series Transfer Case conversion I can no longer use the PTO :rolleyes: however if I could find a dropper PTO adapter (the type that goes onto the sump plate of the TC), I could then do it :)

Since I'm also going for a TIConsole-esq steering PAS ram I need the standard PAS pump for this, I was planning to keep the standard V8 PAS pump for the steering, and fit the ZF74 underneith as such:

I wouldn't bother with the TIConsol ram asssist, i drove one a little while ago and i was convinced i was going to die driving it, the steering was insanely light and totally devoid of "feel", And it almost seemed to "hold" itself on full lock momentaily before it would let you steer back.

This was on a friend of mines series, the reciepts he got said it was fitted by a TIC dealer, carn't remember who it was now wasn't chris perfcet.

Ask 898kor to post you some pics of his series which has a rangy box on it, you could also try and sweet talk him into posting some pics of a v8 aircon alternator setup. this could help solve your zf 74 pump mounting demons.

On a different note i have an h14w (sucsessor to your 525) that is driven by a very short shaft to a hydraulic motor, so the winch is as standard but is hydraulic not mechnicaly driven. this is a factory superwinch conversion, if you want i could post up some pics it.

I'm buying the ram <bahhh, sorry!> off a friend who's been using it for a couple years now with no issues, and if it wasn't perfect he would have skipped it within a week ;) Luckily I'm used to PAS driving and riding motorbikes so I aint coming from a heavy steering to an ultra light set-up, which should promolgate my life expectancy :D

If you don't mind getting some piccies that would be great :)

Rob - you could maybe adapt a Series straight-out PTO to drive a pump? They go for around £20 on eBlag / Sodbury so it would be a pretty cheap setup.

Had a look and couldn't see a way, the capstans have their drive going through the PTO hole in the front cross member and naturally lining up with the crank, the 525 has it's drive entry hard-over to the nearside chassis rail and would require a drive shaft from the crank dog to be angled at something akin to 45 degrees, nature of the beast unfortunately :unsure: