quick intercooler question

flatback90

is it worth the effort to fit a td5 intercooler instead of the standard 200tdi defender one? have a good one in the shed and dunno what to to do with it, the pump has been tweeked and the boost upped to 1.2bar will i get any benefit from it?

Can't believe no-one's answered this yet ...

I wondered about doing that a while ago when i needed a new rad but for some reason just fitted a standard.

If ya do get it done then let us know if the newer intercooler helps ya truck shift.

Can't believe no-one's answered this yet ...

I wondered about doing that a while ago when i needed a new rad but for some reason just fitted a standard.

If ya do get it done then let us know if the newer intercooler helps ya truck shift.

dunno why no answer maybe no one has done it!!

I am not sure about how they compare in capacity, but the one problem you are facing with this setup is the hoselengths: more length means more volume for the turbo to fill, which increases the turbo lag, so it takes longer for the turbo to kick in.

similar cooling capacities so not worth the effort, how about in series though?

Thats why i will be doing it, due to packaging reasons and i think the tdi one is small........., full width jobbies are very thick, while the td5 is slim, space is at a premuim with the inset front end. I know what the plumbing will involve as i had my tdi one on the other side of the engine bay!!

What i am after actually is a twin pass slim intercooler, no more than 40-45mm, i know i can have it made but i cannot justify the stupid prices they ask for them.

I have been searching for a descent doner but as yet no succsess............

G