Inventory?

Good day

Starting to collect all the nessecary tools to do as much as possible maintenance and repairs myself.

Still quite a novice, will start doing all oils and filters, hopefully after few years overhaul the engine myself... With all your help of course

At this stage I have the proper Land Rover maintenance / overhaul manuel; a set of spanners (12 position grip ring and spanner combination) from 8-19; a Vice grip; light-medium hammer, screw drivers, pliers, pop rivet tool, wire etc. Basic DIY stuff.

Where would I find a proper shopping list of all needed tools on the web?

Your comments on specialized tools like those pins for arresting the flywheel and camshaft / body jack?

Any other advice welcome

Vehicle '97 110 300 Tdi Hard Top

Many ThankS!

Good day

Starting to collect all the nessecary tools to do as much as possible maintenance and repairs myself.

Still quite a novice, will start doing all oils and filters, hopefully after few years overhaul the engine myself... With all your help of course

At this stage I have the proper Land Rover maintenance / overhaul manuel; a set of spanners (12 position grip ring and spanner combination) from 8-19; a Vice grip; light-medium hammer, screw drivers, pliers, pop rivet tool, wire etc. Basic DIY stuff.

Where would I find a proper shopping list of all needed tools on the web?

Your comments on specialized tools like those pins for arresting the flywheel and camshaft / body jack?

Any other advice welcome

Vehicle '97 110 300 Tdi Hard Top

Many ThankS!

Good on you for giving it a go. There is a huge amount of extremely useful information within the technical archive which will help you tackle each job stage by stage. Look out for Les Henson's "How To" sections - fantastic step by step guides fully illustrated :)http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4731

As for tools, you'll be collecting those for many years yet, this thread should get you started http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5188

matt

Best thing to do is buy exactly what you need when you need it, and think of the money saved doing the work yourself and the fun and joy you will get out of it.

I got into LRs about 6 years ago I had been into bikes but still ended up buying more stuff to suit LRs. I have even went as far as to buy a compressor, engine hoist and more. :blink:

Good Luck

A hi-lift jack should be near the top of the list. I'm not sure how I survived without, I use it all the time now, and even on the Landy sometimes :-)

Welcome to the obsession,

Dave.

Thanks, Dave, but I have been home for quite a time. Big fan for about 12 years now, suffering all the Toyota Idiots mocking me for driving a Landy. They are faaaaarrrr too common in SA.

Hilift is behind the seat, in fron of the bulkhead.You have to take the foot and mechanism off to make it fit tough.

Will get a proper set of sockets first.

A hi-lift jack should be near the top of the list. I'm not sure how I survived without, I use it all the time now, and even on the Landy sometimes :-)

I would be inclined to avoid using the high lift jack for any day to day lifting duties, they are inherently unstable and there are much better jacks for lifting a LR to maintain it.

Chris