intercooler hoses

My intercooler hoses are a bit oily on the outside. i have removed them but can't find any leaks. The oil can't really be coming from anywhere else so at a guess it must be the hoses ??

Saw these http://www.lrsoffroad.co.uk/shop/index.php...&id_ctg=158

Do you think they will be any good or any recommendations ? or places not to go ?

the old black original hoses on my 300tdi were soft and swelled on boost.

my new [8 months ago] blue on hardy swell at all even on full boost - i did notice quicker pick up and less lag.

..... and since i have fitted a straight thru centre exhaust pipe i have really noticed a difference. pulls liek atrain now.

the old black original hoses on my 300tdi were soft and swelled on boost.

its not just on boost, we had some on the FL10 that were soft and when the overrun kicked it is compressed and sucked flat causing it to starve which cut the engine till the pipes were replaced (pretty fast!) :lol:

i replaced my original hoses with silicone ones cos the bottom intercooler hose had a split - gave me a good excuse to bling up the engine bay a bit by buying a full set of shiny blue stuff!

Not noticed any difference... other than it looks pretty.

My intercooler hoses are a bit oily on the outside. i have removed them but can't find any leaks. The oil can't really be coming from anywhere else so at a guess it must be the hoses ??

Saw these http://www.lrsoffroad.co.uk/shop/index.php...&id_ctg=158

Do you think they will be any good or any recommendations ? or places not to go ?

if you have a Td5, the EGR unit could be the culprit, if you haven't removed it enjoys doing this. or there's this hose which connects out of the engine cover to a valve on the air intake. that valve has failed and is letting oil thru. you can either replace the valve or fit an oil catch tank.

i've done the oil catch tank for 2 yr but decided to return the engine to stock, by replacing the valve.

I'm just thinking about buying silicone hoses for my Defender 200 TDi but can somebody explain me, why they cost twice more than for 300 TDi if ordered from paddock?? http://www.paddockspares.com/scp/PERFORMAN...urbo_Hoses.html

i noticed that when i bought mine on my 300tdi. I presumed at the time it was because the 200tdi has a very long unbroken top hose (no egr) and the big long pipe cost loads to make.

Interesting.

The hoses on our '98 Disco TDi seem a bit soft so I was thinking of changing them. I havent had a price for the std LR parts yet but would hope they are more cost efective than the silicone ones, even if the std ones last another 11 years I don't think there will be much Disco body left!

So, what is the big advantage of silicone? I've looked at a few ad's and can't see any real tangible reason other than they come in different colours....

I havent had a price for the std LR parts yet but would hope they are more cost efective than the silicone ones,

make sure you are sat down when you get the price for genuine hoses. :ph34r:

Advantage of silicone hoses??? hmmmm, supposedly they are more resistant to degredation from oil and dirt and should last longer. They are stiffer and dont bulge, this means you theoretically get less turbo lag. They look pretty.

And the ones from paddocks were alot cheaper than genuine hoses.....

I bought from here: http://www.siliconehoses.co.uk/

For the 200TDI Defender, three 51 mm elbows plus one 51 mm coupler gives 42.50 UKP, less than half the price of Paddocks. Get some 60 mm clamps as well to make everything perfect. Since these are generic, you need to trim some from the straight legs of the elbow, but 10 seconds with a hacksaw fixes that.

This was my order.

FMA90-51_Black- 51mm 90° Elbow Silicone Hose 3

FMC-51_Black-51mm Coupler Silicone Hose 1

FMHC5070 - 50 - 70mm Stainless Steel hose Clamp 8