Work Lamps

Anderzander

I've found loads of great old threads on fitting work lamps but not much mention on which to get...

Rebel do this one for £36:

._ABAR_1.jpg

It has a ball and socket joint and they say its the same one Land Rover use. I can't make out quite how it mounts though.

Wipac do a big range which can be had for a lot less money - though non seem to have a ball and socket joint.

S7102.jpg

There are also LED work lamps available (not sure of the prices though), like this one:

product_lighting_443.jpg

Any of these a good buy?

Any reccomendations?

All help gratefully received.

Well they all do very much the same thing. As you say the top one is pretty much the same as the one that you can get from Land Rover except it's not got the 'L' shaped bracket, loom and dash switch that you get with the LR one. I quite like the smaller square Hella ones but all the non LED's are all much of a muchness, they can all break and bend either themselves or the panel they are fitted to.

I've fitted the square WIPAC lamp, does the job, cost £10. Didn't come with a bulb though :angry: Well made and has proven to be impact and weatherproof. Fitted it to the rear of the Disco using a CB gutter mount (£4.50). As it's only 90mm square it doesn't stick out past the side of the vehicle.

S72041204.jpg

I didn't use a relay either, just ran 5amp cable to a switch (rated at 7A) and a 5A fuse.

I've fitted the square WIPAC lamp, does the job, cost £10. Didn't come with a bulb though :angry: Well made and has proven to be impact and weatherproof. Fitted it to the rear of the Disco using a CB gutter mount (£4.50). As it's only 90mm square it doesn't stick out past the side of the vehicle.

S72041204.jpg

I didn't use a relay either, just ran 5amp cable to a switch (rated at 7A) and a 5A fuse.

Another vote for the square Wipac lamp. Weather proof and tree proof too :) Fitted to the same L-shaped bracket that came with the original Lucas (less tree proof) model.

I bought a bog standard work lamp from a shop was about £15 inc bulb.

I then mounted it to a sprung clamp (like a big crocodile clip) and fitted a 15m long 2-core household lighting cable to the cigar socket on the end (I bought a decent one).

That way, I can clip it to the gutter where I like outside, or underneath, or on another vehicle...

It's great - unless of course you need one permanently mounted ;)

S72041204.jpg

i got a par of these payed £14+vat for both haven't put them on yet as i want to make something to stop them getting hit by trees when playing in the woods

Thanks Vambo!

I think I'll give one a try. Especially after I realised that expensive one was £121.80 without VAT !!!!

Do you have any pictures of yours fitted?

Stephen

Alas no pics at the moment, but just to make things worse my 110 is at Les' at present for a new cam belt, service and MOT!

Les, if you have time to take a pic, the lamp is operated by the switch in the centre next to the fag lighter - the lights need to be switched on first as it is on the same circuit. Otherwise I will post a photo or two when I get my truck back.

Cheers

Steve