v8 to 200 tdi conversion

v84x4

• 3 weeks later...

yep input shafts are different and i think the bell housing to, and yes the engine mounts will need to be moved

you dont give much info,

is it auto or manual?

you will poss need to modify the fuel tank for a return and or remove the pump, depends what you got

will need a diesel filter

different rad and intercooler

air box

exhaust

the wiring is pretty straight forward

all depends how capable you are really

Hi

I did this conversion to a 1999 Defender V8 with R380 G/box.

What year is yours as the pitfalls vary depending on gearbox fitted.

I used 200TDI discovery engine, 300 tdi bell housing and V8 R380 gearbox and transfer box.

A new bush was needed for the fly wheel housing and the input shaft splines are not quite long enough, its something I have to sort in the next few months as though it drives fine the clutch plate splines are not getting an easy life.

On the defender the gbox mounts are diffrent for a v8 and transmit far more engine vibration than the 300 tdi type.

I doubt I would do the conversion again unless I had the correct gearbox.

• 4 years later...

The bellhousings are different (the engine pattern is different). The shaft is a different length and the pilot bearing is a different size. You need to fully pull apart the box to change input shafts. "Batfood" will have an auto. The torque converted and gear will all be wrong as well. Get a proper box for the engine.

The ratios may be OK, but the input shaft is still wrong and needs to be changed, which requires a full box disassemble. As long as you are comfortable with gearbox internals, it is not a huge job.... I would contact Ashcroft and discuss options. You can decide if importing a rebuilt box and selling you existing box makes financial sense or if buying an input shaft and changing it over makes sense. A lot depends on your mechanical ability.

Where in Canada are you located? Are you doing the work yourself or using a mechanic?

I just recently converted my 300TDi from an AShcrostZF$HP22/24 auto to R380 manual, from this "normal conversion" I can only advise you to expect a lot of minor problems, from slave cylinder push rod lengths to to prop shaft lenghts and nuts and bolts ---- it will be a lot of fun but dont expect it to be straight forward remember you're dealing with land rover and they aint easy or straight forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, gents. I'm based in Magog, Quebec. I'm doing the work myself, evenings and weekends. I've converted and rebuilt various vehicles in the past (Austin Mini van -> Cooper S drivetrain, several 60s Beeltes to bigger motors and earlier front-ends, etc.), and I have some LandRover maintenance experience, so I'm not a *total* newbie. As the wife is unlikely to tolerate a transmission on the kitchen table for 6 months, sounds like importing a rebuilt box will be the option that offers less chance of getting me divorced. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...