Td5 conversion

yella 90

in the next few weeks i will be ripping out the old donkey engine to replace it with a td5

ive seen a link on the net before by someone who did a pictoral write up on how he did his and how to overcome the fuel pump issues

does anyone have it, or remember where it was ?

also, any input from you guys will be much obliged :unsure::unsure:

im open to any ideas and ways to fit it......as im a virgin to fitting a td5, not played much with them yet ;)

ta

dan

Hey, yeah I done it... still very pleased with myself :lol:

I do have about 400 pics of the job but never quite got to doing a full pictorial diary. Here's the most I've written about it in one place :

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=26114&hl=

What fuel pump problems by the way? You shouldn't have any provided you actually use the original pump / tank.

i cant use a td5 90 tank, my 90 is missing 10 inches off the rear end :o

ill be using a normal 90 tank

looks asif they way to do it is a low pressure pump to act as a lift pump, feeding a swirl pot then to a high pressure pump

this was the solution that devon used on there td5 90 when the removed the rear tank

just been playing with a s*** load of wires, and, errm :blink::blink::blink:

anyone got a weiring diagram handy :lol:

Td5 & Last of the 300Tdi wiring diagrams right here via our Tech Archive :D

Yeah thats the way to go, the RAVE stuff makes so much difference cause of the colour. I had spent about a week of nights cross referencing between Haynes black and white schematics before I got my hands on the diagrams from the RAVE manuals.

Try getting your head around melding a '73 loom with a '91 loom and dash and the Td5 loom... I managed it in the end but promptly suppressed the memory for the good of my own health. I now sometimes wonder did the elves come in during the night and do the job for me lol

Hey just a thought, one that occurred to me during my build but I didn't follow up on cause of time constraints. Seeing as I was basically rewiring my truck I considered routing the ECU up into the roof rather then under the seat. I'll definately be doing it on my second rebuild - unless someone here know of a good reason not to. Given you've probably got a big pile of wires out of the truck it's not a huge amount of extra work.

Oh and one other thing that I found made things much faster and easier. I got a roll of masking tape and did one big sweep of every wire to identify it (at both ends) and stuck a little tape labels on them. I left the masking on them too so now if I have a problem I don't even need to consult the schematics cause all the wiring is labelled.

i cant use a td5 90 tank, my 90 is missing 10 inches off the rear end :o

ill be using a normal 90 tank

looks asif they way to do it is a low pressure pump to act as a lift pump, feeding a swirl pot then to a high pressure pump

this was the solution that devon used on there td5 90 when the removed the rear tank

just been playing with a s*** load of wires, and, errm :blink::blink::blink:

anyone got a weiring diagram handy :lol:

thats how i did mine in the end - i have the 200tdi side tank: low pressure lift pump - swirl pot - high pressure pump. pumps supplied by devon 4x4.

i used a fuel filter plate from a td5 disco as well. td5 fuel system is quite complex - i still have a didagramm for the fuel flow if you need one. also used high pressure hydraulic fuel hoses - standard ones started leaking after a while - fuel gets quite hot on engine return.

first tried to use only one pump to make things easier - and used a pieburg pump from a beamer. engine ran but I found that the high pressure pumps don't like sucking - pump lasted about 2 hours.

messing around with fuel pumps took up a large part of the time spend on my td5 install - wires were a piece of cake ;-)

well worth it though!

cheers

spec

thats how i did mine in the end - i have the 200tdi side tank: low pressure lift pump - swirl pot - high pressure pump. pumps supplied by devon 4x4.

i used a fuel filter plate from a td5 disco as well. td5 fuel system is quite complex - i still have a didagramm for the fuel flow if you need one. also used high pressure hydraulic fuel hoses - standard ones started leaking after a while - fuel gets quite hot on engine return.

first tried to use only one pump to make things easier - and used a pieburg pump from a beamer. engine ran but I found that the high pressure pumps don't like sucking - pump lasted about 2 hours.

messing around with fuel pumps took up a large part of the time spend on my td5 install - wires were a piece of cake ;-)

well worth it though!

cheers

spec

if you could, that would be a big help

there u go - page 6

p.s.:

this is the standard setup of course - with 2 pumps i modified it as follows

tank

inline pre filter - the size recommended by facet

facet low pressure pump

td5 fuel filter in

td5 fuel filter out (connections to td5 fuel filter as per original diagramm)

swirl pot in

swirl pot out (bottom of swirlpot)

high pressure pump

engine - fuel rail

fuel cooler

return to td5 fuel filter

on the return, the td5 fuel filter returns the air to the tank, fuel will go back to the cycle.

the swirl pot needs a fuel return line to tank since it receives more fuel thatn taken by the HP pump

cheers

spec