Driving a 101

daveturnbull

I agree with Sean, a properly set up V8 101 is a serious bit of kit. The ambulance in the first post sounds as if it is "off colour" to me.

The Vampire with the EW trailer "on the hook" runs at a train weight of around 4.5 tonnes. It will cruise in excess of an indicated 60mph if you want, I normally trundle along at 50 - 55mph that way I get about 9mpg.

To keep it original, [it is the only known one left in the world with the radios and a working 21 metre mast], I run it on bar grips and treat wet roads, especially roundabouts, with great respect.

All part of the fun!

Cheers

Peter

75FL93 V2 Vampire

• 2 months later...

I agree with Sean, a properly set up V8 101 is a serious bit of kit. The ambulance in the first post sounds as if it is "off colour" to me.

The Vampire with the EW trailer "on the hook" runs at a train weight of around 4.5 tonnes. It will cruise in excess of an indicated 60mph if you want, I normally trundle along at 50 - 55mph that way I get about 9mpg.

To keep it original, [it is the only known one left in the world with the radios and a working 21 metre mast], I run it on bar grips and treat wet roads, especially roundabouts, with great respect.

All part of the fun!

Cheers

Peter

75FL93 V2 Vampire

The concept of fitting sticky tyres to a 101, so that it drives and handles like an average modern car is at complete odds with the point of owning a 101, or classic vehicle in the first place.

Its not the 9.00x16 bar grips that are dangerous but the attitude of the idiot behind the wheel.. If you need to drive with caution it means your aware of the vehicles limits. If a drift occures at low speed it is easy to control.

All tyres come unstuck eventually so if the stick is lost at 60 instaed of 30 how can that be safer? You'll not be aware of the lack of grip until it catches you out, and at higher speed you'll have a much less time to react. So dont knock the bar grips on saftey grounds.

If you drive with understanding and respect any tyre is safe in any condition.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a 101 for 4 years or so on bar grips with no problem on the road.

Trialling was another story on side slopes however!

I would agree with Tony in principle, just treat them with respect.

Steep down hill sections are "interesting" as the rear wheels tend to come off the ground as well.

I have a photo somwhere of my 101 on one wheel during a North Wales LRC event at the Milestone inn!

Mike