Brutal Vibration Braking 80-->55.

Griffin

Well since i never drive my disco quickly i never noticed.

Turns out that whenever i brake down from higher speeds it feel like everything falls a part and the steering wheel vibrates like hell.

3 things i thought it could be:

1, Tyres, well they are note the newest and the tread is uneven, however the vibrations only accure while braking so it cant be them.

2, Bushes

3, Steering damper.(it has a bump from the previous owner, and has never been changed).

Another question i have, what power steering fluid do you use apart from motul dexron 2?

Or the discs could have uneven wear or rust patches. If it is not driven fast or braked hard or left standing for long periods it can develop rust patches which go on to become uneven wear.

Inspect the discs for both this uneven wear and to see if they are warped.

Steve

i discovered it the first time when i drove up north(a few hours at about 80 without braking at all) it was also minus degrees.

I do drive it daily, it hardly ever stands, the pads and discs have been changed december 2008(britparts i think, if it matters)

Im not driving her hard, maybe i should....

Would i feel constant vibration if the buhes where bad?

I do drive it daily, it hardly ever stands, the pads and discs have been changed december 2008(britparts i think, if it matters)

Please forgive the question, but when you changed the discs, did you torque down and loctite the caliper bolts?

Worth a check - if one is slightly loose, that might cause the problem.............

• 4 weeks later...
checked brakes and changed tires but it is still there.....a bit less though had bf goodrich T/A's on and switched to cooper H/t

I doubt it could be the same problem as I found on mine, but you never know.........

When I bought it, the brakes were poor. The previous owner explained it had vented discs which improved performance as the brakes were used and began to heat up. As the rest of the car was in very good nick and had clearly been seriously upgraded/prepped by someone with a lot of knowledge, I accepted this. However, after a few weeks the braking deteriorated further and eventually I started getting the same vibrations you describe when braking from higher speeds.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I got down to the basics: Turns out the "vented discs" were just standard discs with holes drilled in them and not even precisely spaced! The raw edges of the holes had knackered the pads and the whole lot had to come off and be replaced. Drives perfectly now.

I can't imagine how anyone with the kit, energy and inclination to do that would have seriously expected it to work. Or am I missing something?

Silverbake.

has the vehicle got abs does it pull to one side under heavy braking i know you say you have checket the discs you havent got a cracked disc that will open the hotter the disc gets the other thing i would check is bearings is there any play in the swivels,chris.

it doesn't drag to one side, and yes it has abs(works fine as far as i can tell).

Can it be the calipers or anything like that? The brakes had been changed by a very well known land rover expert over here (John Hamilton). However im not sure if it was genuine or britpart (if that matters).

Bearings seem totally fine to, swivels i didnt check. How do you check them? or is it that obvious if they are done?

had a bit more time today and checked again and found that steering drag link moves waaaaaaaaaaay to much. I asume that causes the problem.

Also found out that it leaks a hell lot of power steering fluid.......and that the antifreeze dissapears somewhere.

Also when shifting from D to R it makes a nasty "Klonk" sound........oh well summer is long....