disco 300tdi auto into a 90 ?

inchman

hi, my 1990 2.5 td 90 is gettin a bit tired ( wouldnt pull a kipper of a greasy pate) so i had the change to buy a 300tdi auto disco ( rotten ). I would like some advice about the following,to put the 300tdi engine and auto box in to the 90, do i mount the gearbox using the disco gearbox member in the same position as the current gearbox/transfer box and use the existing drive shafts and just weld on the engine mounts to suit, or do i position the gearlever high low range lever where i want it and the just weld in the mounting to suit. i want to retain my middle seat.

i havent removed either engine or box yet and im sure it will make more scence when ive the 2 boxes out and sitting on the floor side by side. but in the mean time i would like any advice, pit falls or handy tips i can get before i actually start work.

ive a well equiped workshop with lift, lathe and milling machine and im pretty handy at using them so a bit of fab dosent worry me.

cheers Gary

300s sit a fair bit fwd on a defender for better weight distribution its better further back likes Jases' here

for simplicity i would get a def crossmember or adapt the disco one and mount the gearbox on that in the correct place to suit the props then work fwd to get the engine mount locations. i am not sure where this will put the hi/low lever but if its not in the right place just fit the casting, cant remember the MPN, that goes on the back of the auto box (its the same casting as a manual 300td one) and it hold and locates the hi low lever

Disco x member won't fit the defender chassis rails.

I did 200 auto into a 90 and mounted the box so the props are the right length and put the engine mounts in to suit.

what member did you use and where did the shifter / gearstick end up ?

cheers Gary