Series landy have you fitted wheel arch spats ??

mudmuncher

Hi all

I am thinking of fitting the above to my series 2 landy i have 235/80 16" tyres on her at the moment but i am worried that if i fit the arches the wheels might look a bit "lost" under them.

Does anyone have and pics of there series with whhel arches fitted ??

How did you get the wheels to fill the arched Spacers ???

many thanks

Chris

A chaque son gout, but in my view, you should only fit wheel arches/spats to a Series if, by virtue of the wheels coming outside the bodywork, you need them.

In this case with ridiculous BFG AT 325/65/15, I needed them:

DSC00679.jpg

And in this case with the Q78/16 (35.5"x 9.5") on 2" backspace custom Volvo wheels, I need them:

HellsCrack-1.jpg

rock3.jpg

In the first photo, those are Defender arches. In the next two photos, I have fitted Pacer Flexiflares 4"extensions. They are rubber, will fold up easily against an obstacle and retain their shape, come in 2 " and 3" extensions as well, are sold by the foot (you cut to suit) and are dirt cheap.

Cheers guys for the replies

Fridgefreezer may i ask what size wheels and tyre do you have on your truck ??

Do you have wheel spacers as well ??

Do you have any running problems with the big wheels and tyres ??

Sorry for all the questions

Many thanks chris

Cheers guys for the replies

Fridgefreezer may i ask what size wheels and tyre do you have on your truck ??

Do you have wheel spacers as well ??

Do you have any running problems with the big wheels and tyres ??

Sorry for all the questions

Many thanks chris

Unitil Fridge answers you I will jump in with my small knowledge from past threads.

Fridge's motor has Portal Axles and used to run it with out arches which looked well good but can't have been legal??

Look for his posts/gallery or the House of Flying Spanners to find it.

Marc.

Im running standard series axles with 235/85 x 16 Greenaway Macho's on FC rims, which of all the LR company steel rims sit the tyres out the furthest amount, the tyre tread edge is level with the edge of the body and the MOT are happy with it. Even with this set up spats would look exercise.

37x12.50 R16 Creepy Crawlers

No spacers (horrible things IMHO anyway)

Volvo C303 portal axles

On stock axles you don't want to go much bigger than the maximum standard diameter (235/85R16 in metric) or you'll break drivetrain components. Also with no power steering it could get a bit heavy off-road the wider you go.

It passed the MOT with no arches as I have said before, it is not an MOT thing but it is not allowed under construction & use regs so best not to run like it really.

Sorry, I don't want to look like i'm hijacking any thread but RPR, is you're machine (325x65x15's) fitted with leaf sprung axles, with such wide section tyres did you not have problems with fouling anything steering from lock to lock? :unsure:

Sorry, I don't want to look like i'm hijacking any thread but RPR, is you're machine (325x65x15's) fitted with leaf sprung axles, with such wide section tyres did you not have problems with fouling anything steering from lock to lock? :unsure:

Yes, thus my self professed view that they were ridiculous. They were on the truck when I bought it (with the stock Rover axles) and they were very good in the sand, so I kept them for about a year. The Mangles 7.5X15 wheels had plenty of backspacing but to avoid fouling the steering lock was adjusted so far out that it had the turning radius of a Very Large Crude Carrier! It was susbsequently fitted with Marshal ATs in 32x10.5 R15 (good tyres) and Simex 32x10.5 R15 (great tyres) before getting the Q78/16 Swampers (on custom Volvo wheels).