Nanocom TD5 "How to use on a OSX MAC"

Hello guys,

I wonder,

Is there anyone who has an idea on how to use a nanocom on a osx computer?

I don't want to use virtual PC or Windows on my macintosh

All info is welcome!

Kind regards

HJ

As far as I know there is no OSX version of the Nanocom software. This leaves you with Virtual PC or VMware and a Windows OS as pretty much the only option. There is a port of WINE for OSX but I am not sure how good it is or how much joy you will have getting the Nanocom software working.

Another consideration might be to get a cheap old PC or laptop just to run Nanocom, you only need a machine capable of running Windows 2000 or newer really.

Ben

As far as I know there is no OSX version of the Nanocom software. This leaves you with Virtual PC or VMware and a Windows OS as pretty much the only option. There is a port of WINE for OSX but I am not sure how good it is or how much joy you will have getting the Nanocom software working.

Another consideration might be to get a cheap old PC or laptop just to run Nanocom, you only need a machine capable of running Windows 2000 or newer really.

Ben

I got this tip from another forum- use Virtualbox, its much nicer than virtual PC. I use it to run WinXp and Microcat on my PC (not Mac) that is running Leopard. Confused yet?

:lol:

Parallels or boot camp are OK, VMWare Fusion is better IME though if only because you don't notice the Windows OS at all. Obviously this all assumes you're running an Intel Mac ! I've tried all 3 as well as VPC and VMWare is the most transparent. Boot camp is just beyond the pale, booting a Mac with windows is like running a Diesel Range Rover, you feel unclean afterwards, like you've abused your Mac.

There was some talk of an open source application and Nanocom released the source code for their app to encourage this, not sure if anyone took it up but that would enable a native app to be written or you could run the unix variant if it exists.

• 2 months later...

Another vote here for Virtualbox, although don't combine it with remote desktops or you may create some sort of wormhole.

Only thing I would say is don't be surprised if it plays up - depending on how good the nanocom communications routines are, using it through pretend comms ports on a virtual machine could well upset it.