How strong is your winch ?

MogLite

Maths is not my strong point but would this setup work to divide the pull - rather like using a snatchblock to increase pull/halve speed but in reverse?

53669.jpg

Rather a crude picture I fear - more my workings than anything.

It would save a lot of maths when calculating wraps on the drum as well as removing the inaccuracy as the rope slides in between the wraps of the layer beneath.

Chris

As well as seeing how much force a given winch would generate, it would be nice to see a lb/£ table - to see which winch/setup offers the most "bang for your buck" as it were - base on the new price/commercialy available I guess rather than the second hand/home made value.

Chris

Yes Chris - nice plan, provided the pulley between successive 'lengths' of the rope is essentially frictionless compared to the load, then that will be perfect.

I.e. as long as you don't wrap the rope several times round a rusty steel bar in the centre joint, it'll work fine and give correct results.

Obviously you'll need to multiply the reading to get the true value! Duh... ;)

Just for the record, in case you thought the relative lengths are important, they're not. (The "1m" and "2m" bits). As long as the various bits of rope are horizontal-ish, you're golden. If you start pulling stuff at funny angles, you'll need a calculator...

Al.

P.S. Is Postman Pat going to enter? I didn't know his van had a winch? :P

Yes Chris - nice plan, provided the pulley between successive 'lengths' of the rope is essentially frictionless compared to the load, then that will be perfect.

I.e. as long as you don't wrap the rope several times round a rusty steel bar in the centre joint, it'll work fine and give correct results.

Obviously you'll need to multiply the reading to get the true value! Duh... ;)

Just for the record, in case you thought the relative lengths are important, they're not. (The "1m" and "2m" bits). As long as the various bits of rope are horizontal-ish, you're golden. If you start pulling stuff at funny angles, you'll need a calculator...

Al.

P.S. Is Postman Pat going to enter? I didn't know his van had a winch? :P

Ha ha, that was supposed to be a Defender. I should have said that drawing is not a strong suite either. :)

The 1M and 2M was my reference to the amount that the rope moves and therefor the ratio, 1:2. Not too clear, sorry.

Chris

I think you'd want a site for a day when there was no playing anyway, otherwise you just know a crowd of slack-jawed onlookers would appear :ph34r:

What would be good is to get a few cheapo winches in - T-Max and so on and see what they do compared with the more established makes.

Yep,

I have a HUGE snatch block, plus I carry 8T certified shackles I would be willing for ALL to use.

BBQ004Medium.jpg

I think that maybe a series of tests where one by one winches drop out as they stall is also an idea.

I am NOT happy at roping myself (or others) to a tree and waiting for something to either give way or break or maybe the motor stall, the better way would be to have some give somewhere.....

ie winch 1 something up a slope, then 2 then 3 etc, this has then something to fail, clamping the winch 4x4 to a huge oak tree and then pulling on something attched to another immovable oak tree with the gauge in between worries me a tad, not to mention I like my 90, and if I had wnated one I would have bought a 130 :lol:

Also happy to provide my HD stropes etc....

The winch block takes up to 14mm plasma without damage, which is what I use on the front...

Bring it on !

Nige

I am NOT happy at roping myself (or others) to a tree and waiting for something to either give way or break or maybe the motor stall, the better way would be to have some give somewhere.....

Cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck :P

Actually I agree with you 100%, trying to break something is probably not a good idea :unsure:

"The 1M and 2M was my reference to the amount that the rope moves and therefor the ratio, 1:2. Not too clear, sorry.

Chris"

I think those numbers should either be reversed, or if you keep the 1m, the 2m should be 1/2M.

The reading shown on the load cell would need to be doubled, as the other half of the doubled rope is taking half the strain.

Later comments:

So instead of arranging a contest between two 'immovable' objects, we are back to a movable but adjustable load?

At the Dorset Steam rally I attended a few years back they had, for the first time, a demonstration of Traction engine power. This was as much to get the sound of a steam enginge pulling strongly as anything else. They certainly had difficulty getting attendees to volunteer.

They used a natural slope, and pulled a very ratty low loader up it. Adjusting the load seemed to be by mal-adjusting the brakes on the four rear wheels. I don't recall what they had under the front end of the trailer.

This arrangement worked for them.

Considering ground conditions etc, then a quarry might be good. If a working one can be persuaded to co-operate, then the winch vehicle could be coupled either to a very large rock, or a massive dump truck (which would make some entertaining photos on their own). They may also have a low loader holed up somewhere (site use only sort of thing) which could have the brakes tweaked and hauled around the place. If it's a low loader used for dump trucks you could probably put a Land Rover or two across the trailer to add effect, and load, to stop the trailer wheels just skidding.

With a stone floor you are not worried about tearing the ground surface to pieces, which is surely what would happen if you used grass.

You now have a load that can be changed for different 'classes' of winch, but remains constant during a pull, so you can measure metres per second for 30 seconds, whatever.

2nd thought.

With a wheeled trailer of the size mentioned, a slight slope, and an adjustable load (crosswise SWB Landies) you wouldn't need the braked wheels bit, so the ground damage would be to limited to repeated travel only. Given firm ground any marks would disappear in a week or so.

You are all Southern Belles aren't you, so no point in even thinking of Derbyshire / Peak District Quarries?

HTH

Well the load cell got delivered yesterday

Its got a 2nd hand that show the max-load, so that makes things a whole bunch easier.

It comes with two rated shackles, these connect to the load cell, not a loose fit, but slide into roller bearings !!

When I've got the winches up and running on MogLite ( a couple of months away realistically)

I'll try and arrange a test day somewhere in the Hampshire area with a cross section of winches by invite.

I like the idea of rigging the load-cell on one leg of a snatch block.

Has anyone got a short length of strong plasma to complete the rigging, only needs to be 20' or so, but needs to be 12mm+ I reckon.