AUTO BOX FAILS TO CHANGE UP

RATRACER

Hello,

Can anybody help or advise on a problem I have with a 300 TDI auto Landrover Discovery?

When under load, e.g. pulling a caravan on a long uphill stretch, with the accelerator fully pressed. when the time comes to change up a gear, the box chages up and immediately kicks down again repeating the process until the accelerator is lifted partially, the engine comes off load and the box changes up. Obviously without the accelerator planted to the floor, we run out of power and need to floor it again, which causes the gearbox to repeat the above.

When not towing or working hard everything behaves as it should. Anyone had similar trouble.How robust are these auto boxes? My disco has 78,000 on the clock,is it getting tired or in need of adjustments?

I think it's probably just the inevitable consequence of having a slightly underpowered engine in a slightly overweight car driving through an auto box. You probably need to hold it in the lower gear manually using the shifter (to stop shunting between the gears) and just accept that you have to go a bit slower up the hill...

Hello,

Can anybody help or advise on a problem I have with a 300 TDI auto Landrover Discovery?

When under load, e.g. pulling a caravan on a long uphill stretch, with the accelerator fully pressed. when the time comes to change up a gear, the box chages up and immediately kicks down again repeating the process until the accelerator is lifted partially, the engine comes off load and the box changes up. Obviously without the accelerator planted to the floor, we run out of power and need to floor it again, which causes the gearbox to repeat the above.

When not towing or working hard everything behaves as it should. Anyone had similar trouble.How robust are these auto boxes? My disco has 78,000 on the clock,is it getting tired or in need of adjustments?

Change into 3rd on uphill stretches, saves fuel and wear and tear on the engine and box. That's why there is no "notch" between D and 3 so you don't even have to push the button to move the lever between them.

What you are describing sounds like pretty normal behaviour when the engine hasn't got enough power to pull top gear.

Guest DiscoTD4
Hello,

Hi please see this thread regarding the kick down cable, it may help you !

Cheers

Now that's a bloody useful bit of info! This thread gives a perfect starting point and has restored my confidence in getting the thing fixed.

I have towed a big caravan with this motor for thousands of miles and although not the most powerful truck it has always coped well enough.

This recent fault makes it undriveable under load as the violent and rapid up/down/up/down changes every second or two

will break transmission mounts or similar if allowed to continue,it really is that violent.

I will try the kickdown cable adjustments and clean up the cable connections into the box,and see how we go.

It's a start anyway.

Many thanks. (it will be weekend before i get to try this,DAMN....but will keep you informed,all other ideas welcome)

RATRACER

Now that's a bloody useful bit of info! This thread gives a perfect starting point and has restored my confidence in getting the thing fixed.

I have towed a big caravan with this motor for thousands of miles and although not the most powerful truck it has always coped well enough.

This recent fault makes it undriveable under load as the violent and rapid up/down/up/down changes every second or two

will break transmission mounts or similar if allowed to continue,it really is that violent.

I will try the kickdown cable adjustments and clean up the cable connections into the box,and see how we go.

It's a start anyway.

Many thanks. (it will be weekend before i get to try this,DAMN....but will keep you informed,all other ideas welcome)

RATRACER

hi,

i am new to this forum,

i did used to havethis problem with out towing any thing with my disco

and i found giving the box a service( oil and filter) sorted the problem, now i hardly feel it change gear now , its done 160,000!! :)