Diesel leak on TD5

petrolhead63

I have noticed as of late a slight diesel whiff inside our TD5 and thought I should look into it. Unfiortunately a clutch change has come first and whilst putting hands up high in the tunnel to move foam sound deadening out the way I dound it diesel soaked. This indicates a leak to the rear of the engine somewhere.

Before I look further it is usually worth asking if there are any known regular weak links that cause diesel leaks on the TD5?

Any pointers greatfully received.

I have noticed as of late a slight diesel whiff inside our TD5 and thought I should look into it. Unfiortunately a clutch change has come first and whilst putting hands up high in the tunnel to move foam sound deadening out the way I dound it diesel soaked. This indicates a leak to the rear of the engine somewhere.

Before I look further it is usually worth asking if there are any known regular weak links that cause diesel leaks on the TD5?

Any pointers greatfully received.

Hi,

There was a recall on some TD5 D2's for a fault causing the fuel pipes to chafe on the chassis and rub through. If the fix was done properly it should be OK but some Main Stealers cheated and tried to push the sleeve down the pipes from one end and it doesn't work. We had the "cheat" done on my Sandbags D2 and the pipe failed causing diesel to soak the back of the fuel tank and the back axle and exhaust. Fortunately it was only on a local Tesco run and the exhaust didn't get hot or it could have been disaster.

The LR Assistance bloke said he had seen the whole rear end including brakes soaked in diesel on aniother truck but he replaced the fuel pipe and we had the recall done at a different Main Stealer. We have never been back to our local Stealers workshops since (can't think why!!!)

Regards

Scrumps

I would like to confirm the good advice provided in the link. The fuel regulator leaked on my Td5 about 18 months ago and cost $650 to replace at a dealer in Sydney. It is apparently a fairly common event and may re-occur.

I would like to confirm the good advice provided in the link. The fuel regulator leaked on my Td5 about 18 months ago and cost $650 to replace at a dealer in Sydney. It is apparently a fairly common event and may re-occur.

looked at mine, its that! new one over £100 because they don't sell the parts to overhaul it! thanks for the tips.

I think all Discoveries will need the fuel regulator changing at some time in their life, do not know of one which hasnt or is in need of one.

You can buy the orings and gasket separate they often crop up on Ebay.

Also if anyone can get hold of fuel resistant orings there are only two on the regulator that look like they will cause the leak usually the larger one then replacing them and fitting a new gasket should do the job, but like everyone else i bought the complete unit then started to question why when i could probably fix it for a few quid.