200tdi temp creeping up

My 200Tdi seems to be running ok, but on hills the Temprature starts to creep up from 80 degrees C to nearly 100 on my Temprature guage (TIM Electric). this seems to happen when I start to push on or on hills trying to maintain 60mph....

I dont run a Viscous fan as its a disco lump in the defender so I have a mondeo fan hooked up too an X-switch. The temprature goes down once the hill is gone before the fan comes in.

Ive had a look though the history of the disco I took the engine from and I cant find anywhere in its records of a head gasket change and its just coming up too 100,000 miles....

My rad is fine, its not blocked and is in good condition, the stat is ok too. My main reason for thinking the head gasket maybe on its way is because my last 200 didnt seem too get hot at all when using on the road but that came to an end when the cambelt snapped on the dual carridge way

Could the head gasket be on the way or am i just being parranoid

My 200Tdi seems to be running ok, but on hills the Temprature starts to creep up from 80 degrees C to nearly 100 on my Temprature guage (TIM Electric). this seems to happen when I start to push on or on hills trying to maintain 60mph....

I dont run a Viscous fan as its a disco lump in the defender so I have a mondeo fan hooked up too an X-switch. The temprature goes down once the hill is gone before the fan comes in.

Ive had a look though the history of the disco I took the engine from and I cant find anywhere in its records of a head gasket change and its just coming up too 100,000 miles....

My rad is fine, its not blocked and is in good condition, the stat is ok too. My main reason for thinking the head gasket maybe on its way is because my last 200 didnt seem too get hot at all when using on the road but that came to an end when the cambelt snapped on the dual carridge way

Could the head gasket be on the way or am i just being parranoid

I had similar symptoms. My temp gauge which had always been rock steady started to go slightly further towards the red. A few weeks after this started the head gasket gave up the only other warning sign was excessive pressure in the cooling system.

Mark

could be a mismatch between the gauge & sender or are they both Tim items ? factory 200Tdi in Defenders had the oval metal header tank, run it & take the cap off look for any bubbles which normally means a blown head gasket.

Western the Temp sender is the original disco one, I didnt really think to change the sender when i put the new engine in.....I think i kept the old sender will have a hunt for it.

As for the bubbles it doesnt seem to make any bubbles when cold or when warm, one thing i did notice was that the water level when cold was lower than when warm, I dont think it was hot enough for the thermostat to open but if the guage and sender arent a match that may explain it.

Dave.

When I did my Tdi conversion it ran for the first week with the original disco sender - the usual operating temp had the needle just off the 'normal' white part of the scale, under hard work the needle was buried in the 'hot' end of the scale. With the correct sender the normal operating temp sees the needle in about the middle of the gauge, with dual carriageway runs pushing it towards the end of the normal scale - it never goes higher than this.

HTH

Dave.

Western the Temp sender is the original disco one, I didnt really think to change the sender when i put the new engine in.....I think i kept the old sender will have a hunt for it.

As for the bubbles it doesnt seem to make any bubbles when cold or when warm, one thing i did notice was that the water level when cold was lower than when warm, I dont think it was hot enough for the thermostat to open but if the guage and sender arent a match that may explain it.

Dave.

It's likely, there is a mismatch between the Discovery sender & the Defender gauge, quite a few who have done this swap have gone to use either the TD sender or the Defender 200Tdi sender so it mmatches & works with the standard gauge. hope it works for you.