200tdi conversion.

Hi guys,

I've got a B ('85) plate 110 2.5 n/a

Been offered a 200tdi out of a disco for a conversion.

I've done a few searches on the subject and keep coming up with 2.5td to 200 conversions.

The questions is is there any difference in in the conversion between the n/a and td engines?

Sorry if it's a daft question, just want to be sure before I start ripping engines out.

Thanks.

As far as I'm aware its the same. Only thing is if yours doesn't have an oil cooler, you'll need to get some pipes made up or adapt the disco ones.

Im most of the way through my conversion now, and its really easy so far. The hardest part looks to be how to pipe the turbo to intercooler as its close to the wing, and the air filter pipework.

It took me about 5 hours to remove the old engine and fit the 200tdi on my own. Had a hand for about 5 mins with lining the new engine up onto the input shaft. That's not including replacing timing belt and clutch, seal etc on the disco engine though.

One tip before you fit the engine is for the manifold downpipe, use allen headed bolts as normal bolts are almost impossible to get out with the engine bolted up. And wrap the downpipe with heat wrap before you fit the engine, i'm about to do it the hard way.

Hi all,

I would agree that the inter-cooler hoses are the trickiest part of the job - unless you've plenty of cash to flash at the likes of the Steve Parker hose kits!

I have managed to bodge a setup together using a mixture of disco/TD hoses and some 48mm OD ali-scaff I had lying around :ph34r:

I cut a slice out of the inner wing to make it easier.

post-9229-1238610008_thumb.jpg

post-9229-1238610043_thumb.jpg

I intended to get some proper pipework bent up but haven't got round to it yet ;)

the rest of the job is pretty easy - rad mounting brackets is the closest I got to proper fab work - and well worth the result :i-m_so_happy:

If you have any questions or need any pictures let me know - Les's thread in the Tech Archive is gold dust and a must read.

Dave.