Horn wont switch off

Froggie

I have been working on the disco recently (changing the fuel pump) and tottaly out of the blue the horn activated and stayed on constantly.

I say it came on out of the blue, I think it might have come on just as i opened a door.

I am not sure weather it is an alarm resseting problem or possibly the horn relay, as I have looked at the horn wiring diagram and there doesnt seem a lot to it other than the relay.

First thing we need to say is that we're talking about a Discovery 2.

Second, is the horn still misbehaving or was it a one time event?

Third, you need to tell which configuration you have on the alarm system. Usually, we call "horn" the thing that makes noise and it's normally activated by the switches on the steering wheel and it's normally called a "siren"/"sounder"/"alarm sounder" the thing that makes noise when the alarm is triggered.

On Discovery 2 you may have the alarm system activating"

- the horn (there's no separate alarm sounder)

- a separate siren/sounder

- combination of both horn and sounder.

Which of the above systems is there on the vehicle?

First thing we need to say is that we're talking about a Discovery 2.

Second, is the horn still misbehaving or was it a one time event?

Third, you need to tell which configuration you have on the alarm system. Usually, we call "horn" the thing that makes noise and it's normally activated by the switches on the steering wheel and it's normally called a "siren"/"sounder"/"alarm sounder" the thing that makes noise when the alarm is triggered.

On Discovery 2 you may have the alarm system activating"

- the horn (there's no separate alarm sounder)

- a separate siren/sounder

- combination of both horn and sounder.

Which of the above systems is there on the vehicle?

With regards to which one Horn/Sounder I am unsure, however after taking the discovery 2 out, i put the fuse back in and the problem has gone away for now.

Problem solved (apparently)

Then I suggest to forget about it until the next occurrence of the problem. And if it will happen again try to see if you can replicate the event and tell us what you did and what happened.

As for how to tell which system you have it's pretty simple (depending on your neighbors though :))

- honk the horn from the steering wheel and hear how it sounds like (I'm sure you know by now)

- lock the car and arm the alarm system the usual way using the fob

- unlock either front doors using the key (and open it if nothing happens when unlocking) > this will trigger the alarm

- note the sound that you'll hear:

* is it the same as the horn?

* is it different?

* is it different but you can still hear the horn mixed with a new sound?

Whichever the above questions will answer with a "Yes" will tell you which alarm system you have, in direct correspondence with my previous post.

Then I suggest to forget about it until the next occurrence of the problem. And if it will happen again try to see if you can replicate the event and tell us what you did and what happened.

As for how to tell which system you have it's pretty simple (depending on your neighbors though :))

- honk the horn from the steering wheel and hear how it sounds like (I'm sure you know by now)

- lock the car and arm the alarm system the usual way using the fob

- unlock either front doors using the key (and open it if nothing happens when unlocking) > this will trigger the alarm

- note the sound that you'll hear:

* is it the same as the horn?

* is it different?

* is it different but you can still hear the horn mixed with a new sound?

Whichever the above questions will answer with a "Yes" will tell you which alarm system you have, in direct correspondence with my previous post.

Once I fix the drivers door lock I will try that!!!