chassis needed and questions answered!

hi guys, i have a disco as a donor for pretty much everything, and i love the idea of a toy that i can use every day.

so i posted a wanted add for a chassis, but need to know what i need to keep from my manual disco 1 300tdi, indeed what will/can fit to a series/defender chassis.

and sorry guys, i want a seriesIII/defender(esque) toy too.

so be brutal with your opinions if you like, but also give those pearls of advice/info.

the questions...

1.can i fit disco running gear to a series chassis

2.do i need to alter any panels/b/heads.

3.who has any panels...

4.have i chosen a hard route, perhaps there is an easier way to get my defender (esque) toy. let me know

5.will challenge stuff (front wings etc) fit a series chassis

6.what is the difference in series chassis', can i use any of them and fit sIII.defender body/panels to them

7. how much is it likely to cost to get the parts i dont have ( i have nothing except the disco!)

8.how long is it likely to take to build (in hours or evenings) and do this.

i am very mechanically minded, but i am not above asking advice which saves both time and money either. and i have not really any experience with landy's other than owning a v8 rrc and a disco.

...and i will be puting this in series forum too. sorry to not be a purist,and sorry to the moderators to have to read this twice.

thanks guys and girls for taking the time to read this, and for your help or obligatory taunts i will no doubt get.

i cant help much but i can answer 2!

7. how deep is your wallet

8. the rest of your life and some

on a serious note, do you have a budget in mind-it may help people advise in a massive way.

also, when you say defender-series esq toy how serious are you looking to go. a bit of weekend greenlaning or challege type stuff?

have you tried searching hybrid, toy and build on the forum-it brings up a big list of varying good lists of things to read

hope this was slightly helpful

I'm in the process of doing almost the same as you - new SWB S3 chassis, 300TDi Disco engine, 90 transmission, disc braked axles, PAS, etc. I had no donor vehicle, so had to buy the various bits.

Boiled and fried 300TDi -

gallery_2_315_1101854.jpg

gallery_2_315_1470965.jpg

gallery_2_315_855627.jpg

Rebore, gen parts, Turner std complete head, bosch starter & alternator, new turbo, PAS pump, tart-up :), lotsa money.

gallery_2_416_689749.jpg

gallery_2_416_68285.jpg

PAS rebuilt.

gallery_2_315_274434.jpg

gallery_2_315_57335.jpg

gallery_2_315_779063.jpg

I'm working on the front axle now - ex-110 V8 to leaf springs (parabolics).

Lots of brackets not needed for the conversion, so all had to be carefully cut off with the exception of the bump stop brackets, which are the same width for the two vehicles.

gallery_2_792_63201.jpg

gallery_2_792_30079.jpg

gallery_2_792_30079.jpg

gallery_2_792_34325.jpg

gallery_2_792_25939.jpg

gallery_2_792_56634.jpg

Bump stop bracket end blanked off.

gallery_2_792_15115.jpg

gallery_2_792_34025.jpg

Old weld all cleaned off, and I'm now in the middle of fabricating the spring seats, so a bit of very careful measuring.

gallery_2_792_52321.jpg

gallery_2_792_5786.jpg

Spring seats are now tack welded on and that's as far as I've got at present.

Les.

Keep in mind that anything like this if it is going to be used on the road will definately need a SVA and end up on Q plates.

It is worth reading the new SVA manual (links elsewhere), it should be a big problem if you build with the regulations in mind.

It is this sort of coversion where the SVA is a seriously good idea, if its done right there is no problem but the potential for a bodgy job being dangerous to every one is huge.

If it is only every going to be used on private land then quality is down to you and any one stood in the same area!.

1.can i fit disco running gear to a series chassis

yes, some bits will need modifying

2.do i need to alter any panels/b/heads.

bulkhead yes, others not much

3.who has any panels...

a wanted ad?

4.have i chosen a hard route, perhaps there is an easier way to get my defender (esque) toy. let me know

yes, a 90 is much easier as a base vehicle, probably cheaper too

5.will challenge stuff (front wings etc) fit a series chassis

mostly with some mods required

6.what is the difference in series chassis', can i use any of them and fit sIII.defender body/panels to them

SII and SIII chassis are very similar SI are not.

7. how much is it likely to cost to get the parts i dont have ( i have nothing except the disco!)

if you buy a SIII as a base for £1k, budget another £1k to do the job. Then double it if you want a decent job

8.how long is it likely to take to build (in hours or evenings) and do this.

As dirkthe1 says, the rest of your life is a good start. if you look at the date stamp on Les' photos you can see he has been at it a while!

1k to buy an sIII, that is o.k just need to find one.

1k to do the job, i was planning on doing most, if not all of it, how is it so high?

i read you can extend sIII or defender panels to fit a disco chassis too. this would be ideal if it can be done, anyone know if it can???

but seriously, 1k to do the job seems steep, if i dont need many parts as i have a doner, besides, paint is over-rated so that will save money. lol

les, the welding looks fab, truly. and the engine is the cleanest i have seen i am quite sure.

i am keeping to springs/shocks, sorry. leaf springs i just dont like from my sprite days. unless i can get solid feedback from offroaders/on-roaders that i can do the same stuff with either suspension types and i go with a series chassis too, obviously.

i read you can extend sIII or defender panels to fit a disco chassis too. this would be ideal if it can be done, anyone know if it can???

I have seen it done,but a neater job is to shorten a 109 or 110 rear tub to fit the 100" chassis,then use the series or defender front panels,doors etc.

Wasn't there a TV program on this subject? Didn't see it myself.

1k to buy an sIII, that is o.k just need to find one.

1k to do the job, i was planning on doing most, if not all of it, how is it so high?

but seriously, 1k to do the job seems steep, if i dont need many parts as i have a doner, besides, paint is over-rated so that will save money. lol

Moby. The £1k is probably on the low side.

This is because while you have it all in bits you will want/need to replace worn out bits as you come across them. You will also need consumables. Kind of things you will either need or want to buy:

Brake pipes, flexi ones too, pads, discs, gearbox oil, engine oil, radiator hoses, track rod ends, propshaft joints, exhaust sections/mounts/joints, suspension bushes, jubillee clips, mig wire, gas, angle grinder discs...

The reason most such projects fail is running out of cash, and it really isn't fun joining 3 rad hoses together because you can't afford a new one. Been there.

a 4x4 is born? theres a few threads on it in the forum.

also 1k is quite a small budget compared to what some people spend. its all relative to the end result. if you do it on 200quid then dont expect it to last too long, whereas spending a bit more-not getting (cheap) less quality parts. have a look around the forums and you pick up little things quite quickly-what to buy, where to buy what from. if you think about something, chances are someone here has done it allready, so knows a better way to do it!!

and it really isn't fun joining 3 rad hoses together because you can't afford a new one. Been there.

i had to bodge re plumb mine to drive it on to a trailer-lost the bottom hose, so cut garden hose and sealed with carrier bag and half a roll of duck tape. holds water for at least 5 hours!