Rear LED Lights

alfaman

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I had my 90 ITV'd (Spanish version of the MOT) and was told to remove the rear LED's, indicators and brake/tail lights. I've fitted those after market ones you see popping up here and there, which are the same size as the original ones.

I know the Spanish do have peculiar rules, but I was wandering if these new type of bulbs are legally allowed in UK, or not.

Also does anyone know of any new/old EU directive that says if you can or cannot fit these into original standard light units?

Keith.

Also I had to remove the high-level lights which have been there for the last 2 years. :angry:

They are fine in the UK, perfectly legal.

Did they say what the problem was, or why you had to remove the high level lights?? Personally id put them back til next year then whip them off for the test!

The UK regulations say you can have any number of rear lights, stop lights and no more than two indicators per side at the rear. (only one indicator per side at the front).

If lamps do not bear an appropriate E mark then they should emit light of a similar brightness.

The high level ones would also seem to comply as I can find no requirement that optional lights have to comply with the height restriction applied to the obligatory lights.

Steve

The rules for new vehicles on additional obligatory tail and stop lights are changing, either from Europe or the UK, to stop people adding extra high-level tail lights, even from new. I'd check that the rules are retrospective, and that they are applied in your country. (I appreciate that's not much help)

Did they say what the problem was, or why you had to remove the high level lights?? Personally id put them back til next year then whip them off for the test!

Apparently because they are not originally fitted, you can't have them.

Unfortunately, doing the year thing is not an option. Some reason my 90 is registered as a Commercial Vehicle and as such it has to have a 6 monthly MOT.

The rules for new vehicles on additional obligatory tail and stop lights are changing, either from Europe or the UK, to stop people adding extra high-level tail lights, even from new. I'd check that the rules are retrospective, and that they are applied in your country. (I appreciate that's not much help)

It is helpful, problem is I can't find any official rules, etc. Other than the last place I went to, said take em off. Any ideas as to where to look?

They are fine in the UK, perfectly legal.

I know, that's why I fitted them. I thought that if it's OK in UK it should be OK everywhere else.

If only I can find some evidence to say it's OK, EU rules that is, the Spaniards love their paperwork. :angry: