Does size matter?

ThreeSheds

I am beginning to wonder about my RRC :huh:

Firstly I found that the rear discs are only 8mm thick (compared to 12.5 on the donor Disco) and they don't look like have worn or been skimmed - it looks like they were made that way.

Now I notice that the trailing arms are way thicker on the Disco - 27.5mm dia compared to 20mm dia on the RRC.

I am wondering if one or the other of them has an axle assembly from a different vehicle? Perhaps the heavier stuff that's on the Disco is from a 110? Can anybody throw some light on this?

Yours,

Confused...

How old is it?

I've got three 2 doors in various stages of decomposition/rejuvenation and none have trailing arms or discs that puny.

It's a 1990 3.9 V8 - the donor Disco is a 1991 200tdi.

So you think that it's the RRC being puny rather than the Disco being brawny?

So you think that it's the RRC being puny rather than the Disco being brawny?

Yes, I think the Disco is standard. The brake disc is about 5mm under the minumum thickness. Not sure about the diameter of the trailing arms on later RRCs though. Maybe someone who has got one can advise.

<..>The brake disc is about 5mm under the minumum thickness<..>

5mm :o ? I hope you were refering to the RRC 8mm discs and not the Disco ones :huh:

I wanted to check the Disco discs too - since they look ok I don't intend to replace them at the moment, so I had a careful look through my official workshop manual but I couldn't find a minimum thickness quoted - just useful phrases like 'if the disc is worn' :ph34r:

I actually wondered if the 'lightweight' RRC components are the result of some misguided efforts at reducing the unsprung weight - I can't imagine any other reason for fitting them other than sheer incompetance. But if they are the wrong components, then where did they come from? Do any other vehicles use these thinner bits?

Still confused :unsure::lol:

Roger

So trailing arms can be 20mm, 27.5mm and 32mm... Any advance on 32?

I was quite happy with my recent enhancement from 20mm to 27.5mm, but now I have heard about 32mm I think I have trailing-arm envy :lol:

Good source of info on the brakes, which confims that my Disco discs are ok to use (they are not significantly scored or lipped and are around 12.4mm thick) - thanks for that :)

Roger