Winch solenoids

Having now got a Skoda with a rear demountable winch I have blown up the aging solenoids in the controller.

Is there a good source, in and around the Manchester area, where I can get hold of replacement double pole change over solenoids (six terminal type)? I am looking for cheap and they don't need to be heavy duty as the winch is only a little 3300lbs capacity.

I've done a search but can only find tech on how to wire them.

Alternatively, what other options might I have short of making and breaking the connections with a set of jump leads? ;)

I was hoping to winch out a felled tree this weekend.

Thanks you,

NT

Having now got a Skoda with a rear demountable winch I have blown up the aging solenoids in the controller.

Is there a good source, in and around the Manchester area, where I can get hold of replacement double pole change over solenoids (six terminal type)? I am looking for cheap and they don't need to be heavy duty as the winch is only a little 3300lbs capacity.

I've done a search but can only find tech on how to wire them.

Alternatively, what other options might I have short of making and breaking the connections with a set of jump leads? ;)

I was hoping to winch out a felled tree this weekend.

Thanks you,

NT

Jump Leads are an option, done it that way myself but with a 'Battery Master Switch' in circuit, otherwise you will be doing lots of 'spark erosion' on the terminals when you make & break the contact under load.

Colin.

Jump Leads are an option, done it that way myself but with a 'Battery Master Switch' in circuit, otherwise you will be doing lots of 'spark erosion' on the terminals when you make & break the contact under load.

Colin.

Hmmm, now there's a thought.

A set of jump leads clipped to the switch and used as a wonder lead. Then I can still see what I am doing! B)

I would still like to get some economic solenoids though. Need two for the winch and another one for the crane hydraulics.

Has anyone got any going spare?

Well, job done, tree felled and winched up a nasty slope with makeshift winch controller.

The tree, 65' of Silver Birch:

DSC00378.jpg

Makeshift winch controls:

DSC00388.jpg

Makeshift rigging as well:

DSC00387.jpg

The logging arch would only get to the bottom of the slope so from there I had to winch off a tree to gain some upwards lift. Occasionally the back of the car left the gound. :D

And one of the 3 bits of tree trunk I had to winch out with a makeshift logging arch. It was made over night from a scrap multigym.

DSC00392.jpg