D2 Cooling

Sabre

I noticed on a 2004 Disco 2 V8 that there is a electrical fan mounted in front of the radiator. This fan starts when the engine is hot, independently from the aircon. What is the purpose of this fan ? The viscous looks big enough to handle all the cooling needs of the V8

I could not see an aircon heat exchanger or fan in front of the radiator. Where is this fitted ?

Thanks in advance

JZ

The aircon fan will be in the front of the rad and there will be two side by side. If you have the climate control switched on, then the fan will switch on and off at different times.

The heat exchanger is behind the fans in front of the radiator.

If you don't have aircon then the electrical fan will be an additional cooling fan something like 16 inch dia.

The aircon fan will be in the front of the rad and there will be two side by side. If you have the climate control switched on, then the fan will switch on and off at different times.

The heat exchanger is behind the fans in front of the radiator.

If you don't have aircon then the electrical fan will be an additional cooling fan something like 16 inch dia.

Well, this is what I find unusual; this car has only one electric fan, situated on the left hand side (when looking through the grille slats). Maybe a PO has removed one of the fans ?

Discovery 1 has two fans, Discovery 2 has only one (bigger) fan.

In both cases the fan(s) will be engaged if the engine temp goes over a certain value (100-105C) to assist cooling (and A/C, if working at that time, will be disabled).

I noticed on a 2004 Disco 2 V8 that there is a electrical fan mounted in front of the radiator.

I could not see an aircon heat exchanger or fan in front of the radiator. Where is this fitted ?

Those statements in bold seem to contradict.

I take that as you did see the fan but not the A/C condenser (heat exchanger). The condenser is about the same size as the radiator, it can be easily taken as being the later.