Is there such a thing as...

Is there such a thing as a filter that fits in the fuel filler pipe, that can filter out crud when filling up with poorer quality diesel when your off travelling in remote places.

If so, is it a genuine part or not & does anyone (Ralph!) have a part number please!

Martin

Is there such a thing as a filter that fits in the fuel filler pipe, that can filter out crud when filling up with poorer quality diesel when your off travelling in remote places.

If so, is it a genuine part or not & does anyone (Ralph!) have a part number please!

Martin

Yes there is, it's called a extension tube & has a gauze in the bottom & can be raised & twisted to stay in place when filling from jerrycans.

LR part NTC2655

Most older 90/110 here had them, maybe it was a rest of world spec thing, but yes they are a tube that pulls out of the filler to allow filling from a jerrycan without a funnel. Most people take them out and dump them because the flow rate through the filter mesh from a forecourt pump is carp and the pump will keep shutting off, but they do work.

Thank you Ralph, I knew I wasnt imagining these things existing!

How does it work then? Does it live within the filler tube with the gauze in place, and you can just fill up as normal from a petrol station with it in place, and extend it only for use when filling up via a jerry can?

I already have a nozzle for my jerry's, and just want to use it to take precautions against dodgy diesel in Africa.

Also Ralph, that part number link you sent was for a Series vehicle. Will this fit correctly in a 300tdi Defender?

Martin

Part number is correct from my 110 1987 on parts book & Microcat, it lives within the filler tube, when you take the fill cap off on the underside of the cap is a raised loop on the steel inner plate, the chain of the extension tube connects to that so the tube can't be lost, also there should be a pin protruding into the fill neck, this allows the extension tube to be twisted & locked in to place for jerrycan filling

for normal pump fill just take off the cap & fill

for jerrycan fill, take off the cap, pull the tube up, twist so the extension tube is sat on the pin & fill from jerrycan

the website I linked to is called LRSeries but it covers all LR vehicles.

can add some photo's if required :D see item 5 on the diagram below

post-20-1238884690_thumb.jpg

Part number is correct from my 110 1987 on parts book & Microcat, it lives within the filler tube, when you take the fill cap off on the underside of the cap is a raised loop on the steel inner plate, the chain of the extension tube connects to that so the tube can't be lost, also there should be a pin protruding into the fill neck, this allows the extension tube to be twisted & locked in to place for jerrycan filling

for normal pump fill just take off the cap & fill

for jerrycan fill, take off the cap, pull the tube up, twist so the extension tube is sat on the pin & fill from jerrycan

the website I linked to is called LRSeries but it covers all LR vehicles.

can add some photo's if required :D see item 5 on the diagram below

I have one of those tubes fitted. I've had it in place for some years. I take the tube out to fill from a normal pump otherwise the diesel flows over the top of the tube because the pump pumps the diesel too fast.

Super for filling from a jerry can. You have to fill slowly otherwise it floods out.

I also carry two new fuel filter all the time just in case.

mike

No need to take out at the garage forecourt, just hold the nozzle a little higher and pour to the side wall( like pouring Guiness in a tilted glass) :P . The diesel swirls round and flows away much nicer without any spills.

Brian

No need to take out at the garage forecourt, just hold the nozzle a little higher and pour to the side wall( like pouring Guiness in a tilted glass) :P . The diesel swirls round and flows away much nicer without any spills.

Brian

Yep, I always fill that way, never take the tube out to fill up even when using HGV hi-flow pumps.