Webasto Thermo top V

Last october i picked up a webasto thermo top V brand new for about £100. This is much cheaper than most thermotop's are selling for second hand. The whole job, all in was probably about £200 with all new parts, but could probably be done cheaper by shopping around.

I spent a while doing some research and bought the rest of the bits like a timer and the proper fuel pump, pipes etc.

Now that the warmer weathers here i decided to get round to fitting it all :rolleyes:

The main worry about this burner unit is that every search that you do on google tells you not to buy one because it's impossible to make it work due to it using can-bus signals. :ph34r:

Anyway i decided to take up the challenge .. and it turned out to be fairly simple afterall. I suppose it always is when you have the knowledge.

These heaters are fitted to disco3's so there will probably be a few starting to turn up in the scrappy's.

If anyone else is interested in doing this mod then let me know and i'll do some pic's and an electrical diagram..

Now back to my warm cab to find something else to play with :P

• Like 1

Last october i picked up a webasto thermo top V ...

If anyone else is interested in doing this mod then let me know and i'll do some pic's and an electrical diagram..

I'm thinking about one, however, I would be interested to know why the left side of the radio is in fact nice and warm and cosy while the rest of the car.... :(

I'm thinking about one, however, I would be interested to know why the left side of the radio is in fact nice and warm and cosy while the rest of the car.... :(

Huh .. don't see what you mean ...

Do you mean that no air is blowing onto the drivers side of the windscreen but is on the left ?

If so it'll be the duct come off the vent which is behind the speedo panel.

Last october i picked up a webasto thermo top V brand new for about £100. This is much cheaper than most thermotop's are selling for second hand. The whole job, all in was probably about £200 with all new parts, but could probably be done cheaper by shopping around.

I spent a while doing some research and bought the rest of the bits like a timer and the proper fuel pump, pipes etc.

Now that the warmer weathers here i decided to get round to fitting it all :rolleyes:

The main worry about this burner unit is that every search that you do on google tells you not to buy one because it's impossible to make it work due to it using can-bus signals. :ph34r:

Anyway i decided to take up the challenge .. and it turned out to be fairly simple afterall. I suppose it always is when you have the knowledge.

These heaters are fitted to disco3's so there will probably be a few starting to turn up in the scrappy's.

Hi, Jimmy.

You are just the guy I have been looking for!

I have just bought a Webasto thermo top V its brand new but there is no harnes with it I want to fit it into a boat any info on the wiring would be great.

Regards Brian

• 10 years later...
On 4/5/2009 at 4:26 PM, Ruurd said:

Hi Brian, please advise me re the V thermotop and getting it running.

regards malcolm

On 4/5/2009 at 2:27 PM, jimmy_neutron said:

Did you ever do some pics and the wiring diagram?

On 1/31/2020 at 8:45 PM, ballcock said:

Try the link in the post

Thanks just seen it, dug out a D1 eberspacher I bought years ago 24v rigged up two car batteries and it works although the pump is not pulsing will giver the ecu a slap.haha

On 2/1/2020 at 9:07 PM, malce said:

Thanks just seen it, dug out a D1 eberspacher I bought years ago 24v rigged up two car batteries and it works although the pump is not pulsing will giver the ecu a slap.haha

If the pump is the same as a webbasto, try spraying some oil in either end and use an airline to keep blowing back and forth on each port. They just stick if unused. Took about 45 mins to get mine working.

23 hours ago, Gluv said:

If the pump is the same as a webbasto, try spraying some oil in either end and use an airline to keep blowing back and forth on each port. They just stick if unused. Took about 45 mins to get mine working.

Thanks will try that.

Anyone know if the 1533 contoller still work as normal if you wire up a remote to it?

Really know nothing about remotes but I am looking at a Insma  Wireless Remote Control 433 MHz 12V 4CH Wireless Remote Control Switch Relay Switch 2 Transceiver with 1 Receiver and assuming this would work. Help please.

1 hour ago, malce said:

Anyone know if the 1533 contoller still work as normal if you wire up a remote to it?

Really know nothing about remotes but I am looking at a Insma  Wireless Remote Control 433 MHz 12V 4CH Wireless Remote Control Switch Relay Switch 2 Transceiver with 1 Receiver and assuming this would work. Help please.

There is a How to on the Disco 3 forum about this. It requires opening the controller and soldering cables to replicate the push button action using a relay operated by the remote.

11 hours ago, ballcock said:

There is a How to on the Disco 3 forum about this. It requires opening the controller and soldering cables to replicate the push button action using a relay operated by the remote.

11 hours ago, ballcock said:

Saw something like that but just worried whether it affects the 1533 in any way, and can you use any type of remote and reciever.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:59 PM, malce said:

I have just fitted a Webasto Thermotop C to my 04 plate Astra, however this is NOT Canbus, whereas the V is, and will need the signal from the 1533 (I think) ?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Remote-Control-Relay-Switch-12V-1CH-Receiver-Module-2-RF-Transmitter-UK/192729256517?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649.

I have used the single channel model to operate it.  The transmitters feel good quality.  It works perfectly, and IMO the whole heater installation is very worthwhile.

I do not know if the remote will last a long time though, but time will tell. For the price though, you cant go wrong.

17 hours ago, smallfry said:

I have just fitted a Webasto Thermotop C to my 04 plate Astra, however this is NOT Canbus, whereas the V is, and will need the signal from the 1533 (I think) ?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Remote-Control-Relay-Switch-12V-1CH-Receiver-Module-2-RF-Transmitter-UK/192729256517?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649.

I have used the single channel model to operate it.  The transmitters feel good quality.  It works perfectly, and IMO the whole heater installation is very worthwhile.

I do not know if the remote will last a long time though, but time will tell. For the price though, you cant go wrong.

Yes bought a 1533 from Russia cheaper the UK. haha