auto box wires.

plank22

i dont suppose any one knows what all the wires are for on a auto box? kinda only really need to know what one switches the reversing lights. also wen people say 3 speed or 4 speed on a auto box are they including drive? on mine i can select 123 and then drive. Thanks!!!

Yours is a four speed - D, 3, 2, 1.

A three speed will have D, 2, 1.

You need start inhibit (needed for comps and MOT) and reversing lights (not needed for any tests!).

If you use a multimeter across the four wires you can work out which two do which as you change gears (engine off obviously!!)

yeh i tried tried the multi meter today with the stick in reverse and a continuity check with each wire and earthed it to the box but didnt get anything. how could i wire in the start inhibit - sounds like a usful thing to have!!

yeh i tried tried the multi meter today with the stick in reverse and a continuity check with each wire and earthed it to the box but didnt get anything. how could i wire in the start inhibit - sounds like a usful thing to have!!

In park you should find continuity between the Black/Orange and White/Red this is the start inhibit.

In reverse you should find continuity between the Green and Green/Brown this is reverse.

None of the connections go to earth.

Steve

In park you should find continuity between the Black/Orange and White/Red this is the start inhibit.

In reverse you should find continuity between the Green and Green/Brown this is reverse.

None of the connections go to earth.

Steve

kool thanks. will give that a try and think up a way of putting in the start inhibit into my current loom, im open to any ideas!! hint hint!!!

kool thanks. will give that a try and think up a way of putting in the start inhibit into my current loom, im open to any ideas!! hint hint!!!

Difficult to know if your loom will have the same wire colours.

Find the wire from the start position of the ignition switch (probably White/Red) going to the start solenoid. Cut this wire and connect the starter end to pin 87 of a 30amp relay.

Connect the ignition switch side of the cut wire to the White/Red on the 'box.

Connect the Black/Orange from the 'box to relay pin 85.

Connect an unswitched live (probably Brown) to relay pin 30.

Connect relay pin 86 to earth.

Steve

Difficult to know if your loom will have the same wire colours.

Find the wire from the start position of the ignition switch (probably White/Red) going to the start solenoid. Cut this wire and connect the starter end to pin 87 of a 30amp relay.

Connect the ignition switch side of the cut wire to the White/Red on the 'box.

Connect the Black/Orange from the 'box to relay pin 85.

Connect an unswitched live (probably Brown) to relay pin 30.

Connect relay pin 86 to earth.

Steve

cheers steve will give it ago and let ya no what happens!