axle breathers blocked?

CURLY

i have a leaky inner rear wheel hub oil seal, so i took the plug out on the diff casing to add some oil and it blew a load of air out at me as if it was pressurised? :o

could this be because the axle breather is blocked or something? with pressure in the axle, maybe thats why the oil is being forced out of the hub seal? :blink: or is it normal?

i work for a company that can get hold of small pushfit airline fittings and tube, so i was thinking of extending them up from the axles, and terminating them in the engine bay if they are the problem, but not sure what size to buy..

i'll take the breather out later and have a look see..

maybe i could put a few 'axle breather kits' up forsale to members if all works well? B)

cheers,

CURLY

The search button is your friend - 1/8" BSP, I like Camozzi SS fittings.

And yes, that's definitely blocked if it's blowing air out when you unscrew the plug - lucky you didn't pull the drain plug with that pressure behind it I guess :ph34r:

i have a leaky inner rear wheel hub oil seal, so i took the plug out on the diff casing to add some oil and it blew a load of air out at me as if it was pressurised? :o

could this be because the axle breather is blocked or something? with pressure in the axle, maybe thats why the oil is being forced out of the hub seal? :blink: or is it normal?

i work for a company that can get hold of small pushfit airline fittings and tube, so i was thinking of extending them up from the axles, and terminating them in the engine bay if they are the problem, but not sure what size to buy..

i'll take the breather out later and have a look see..

maybe i could put a few 'axle breather kits' up forsale to members if all works well? B)

cheers,

CURLY

ooo, we sell Camozzi fittings..

1/8" bspp with o-ring elbows, but to what size tubing? 4mm, 6mm 0r 8mm?

spose all i need is a couple of male x push fit elbows and a roll of tubing?

CURLY

Sam,

When I finish doing the snorkel on the green one, I'll probably raise the breathers up too. I'll probably re-do the white one with stainless fittings too, should any happen to come my way... ;)

Mark

yep, biggest tube you can sensible get away with.. I ran the one for my rear axle through an existing rubber grommet in the corner of the floor and pushed the tube up into the cavity behind the rear light cluster, and plumbed the front one into the clean side of the airbox...