Defender makes odd noises

Hi all

I've just bought a '94 Defender 300Tdi truck cab. Seems like everything works the way it ought to and nothing's fallen off yet, but there's one thing bugging me. If I cruise at an indicated 55mph or more I get an odd, intermittent noise. It sounds like someone standing in the load bed dropping bricks on the floor, one by one. I've checked, and there's nobody there. :P

Nothing else happens at the same time - it doesn't judder or hesitate, there's no smoke I can see, no vibrations, nothing but a distinct 'clang' every few seconds. It does it under power and on the over-run. It's a standard 300Tdi except for white eight-spokes and big Fedima mud tyres.

Anyone know what the noise is? Do they all do it?

And most importantly: should I worry about it?

post-15972-1239093843_thumb.jpg

I suppose its time to rule things out one by one.

Do you have anyone nearby with a Landy who you can swap wheels with for a test drive ?

Id start from the ground up, and check all items such as:

• Wheel bearings
  • Backlash in axles
  • Correct seating of springs /dampers
  • wear in bushes of trailing arms
  • A frame (if it has one)
  • Any loose wires/cables/straps

Its a bit vague but unless you can get a video posted on U tube os similar we are all just quessing what a brick landing in the loadbed at 55 might sound like ...

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery solved!

I'm pretty sure the intermittent 'clang' at speed is caused by the truck cab roof bending. At about 55mph it 'pops' like the safety button on the top of a food can, then at lower speed it pops back. Is mine the only truck cab Defender that does it?

I suppose its time to rule things out one by one.

Do you have anyone nearby with a Landy who you can swap wheels with for a test drive ?

Id start from the ground up, and check all items such as:

• Wheel bearings
  • Backlash in axles
  • Correct seating of springs /dampers
  • wear in bushes of trailing arms :angry:
  • A frame (if it has one)
  • Any loose wires/cables/straps

Its a bit vague but unless you can get a video posted on U tube os similar we are all just quessing what a brick landing in the loadbed at 55 might sound like ...

The brick dropping man was the bushes/bushings of the trailing arms...... It has reduced afterwards.... :rolleyes:

post-7610-1240306799_thumb.jpg