Tyre opinions / experiences

What are your experiences of these tyres:

BF Goodrich M/T

Cooper Discoverer STT

I'm thinking buying a set but aren't sure which to go for. Will be used mainly off road but will be on the road too so don't want too horrendous road manners (a lot to ask from a Mud tyre i know!) Will probably be in either 235/85R-16 or 265/75R-16.

So what are your experiences of either of these tyres?

i've run bfg muds before - ok on + offroad and last ages.

but you hint at not doing mega road miles, so there are much better tyres out there.

problem i have with bfg muds is how long they last! Great for the first 20k miles on and offroad. But once they`re half worn then they dont perform well in the mud. That means you end up running substandard tyres for another 20k miles until they`re fully worn out and replaced. Of course when they are half worn you can chuck them and buy some more, but financially thats a hard pill to swallow!

imho if you dont do alot of road miles, then go for a bfg remould copy (eg insa dakar) or something like that. Means you can chuck them away when they get a bit thin without too much financial guilt and you dont get as upset if you rip one to bits on a rock...

i run greenway macho (not longer made, but insa do a version the same) - much better offroad than the bfg and nice on tarmac too. In fact i would say they are just as good as teh bfg on road, but thats possibly down to the softer rubber compound. hence they wear a bit quick. I've done about 15k miles and they`re half worn now, but as they only cost me £55 i dont mind throwing them when i notice too much degredation in performance.

i've run bfg muds before - ok on + offroad and last ages.

but you hint at not doing mega road miles, so there are much better tyres out there.

problem i have with bfg muds is how long they last! Great for the first 20k miles on and offroad. But once they`re half worn then they dont perform well in the mud. That means you end up running substandard tyres for another 20k miles until they`re fully worn out and replaced. Of course when they are half worn you can chuck them and buy some more, but financially thats a hard pill to swallow!

imho if you dont do alot of road miles, then go for a bfg remould copy (eg insa dakar) or something like that. Means you can chuck them away when they get a bit thin without too much financial guilt and you dont get as upset if you rip one to bits on a rock...

i run greenway macho (not longer made, but insa do a version the same) - much better offroad than the bfg and nice on tarmac too. In fact i would say they are just as good as teh bfg on road, but thats possibly down to the softer rubber compound. hence they wear a bit quick. I've done about 15k miles and they`re half worn now, but as they only cost me £55 i dont mind throwing them when i notice too much degredation in performance.

Some good points there Nick.

I've heard they do last a long time, a friend of mine thinks his have done a staggering 60k miles (mainly road), but are next to useless off road now and are due to be replaced.

Valid point on the cost of replacement too, most tracks round here are stoney and slatey so can lend them selves to gashing tyres, not the best if its an expensive tyre to replace!

What are your experiences of these tyres:

BF Goodrich M/T

Cooper Discoverer STT

I'm thinking buying a set but aren't sure which to go for. Will be used mainly off road but will be on the road too so don't want too horrendous road manners (a lot to ask from a Mud tyre i know!) Will probably be in either 235/85R-16 or 265/75R-16.

So what are your experiences of either of these tyres?

I can't vouch for either of those specific tyres but I currently have WildCat EXT & Durango MT's (virtually the same tyre) in 265/75r16 on my 130 both of which are made by Cooper Tyres and I find they are excellent off road and still have pretty good on-road manners. I should imagine that the STT's should be even better on-road with the siping etc.

I see you are also in Cumbria, where abouts are you?

Colin.

I run cooper stt's on my double cab and to date have not let me down once there good in the mud and drive well on the tarmac, they have a few battle scars from some hard laning and are showing very little signs of wair even after 10000 miles. some friends of mine run bfg muds and are also very pleased with them, i have seen the bfgs being used in anger (big tim) and they take it all in there stride. I cant say you would go wrong with which ever you chose they are both extremely good tyres.

Of course when they are half worn you can chuck them and buy some more, but financially thats a hard pill to swallow!

Or you can flog them to some mug for £25 each cos "they are over £100 new and there's still half the tread left so £25 is a bargain" and then you have effectively had a good quality tyre for the best part of its life and for a much more reasonable price.

Not that I would condone such a thing :ph34r:

They both sound pretty good then! Thanks for the info chaps, time to go and think the choice thru'!

I see you are also in Cumbria, where abouts are you?

Colin.

South Lakes, just below Lake Coniston - great part of the world.

My truck will be getting some nice chunky remoulds for offroad driving (something like Insa Special Tracks) and proper road tyres for driving on the tarmac.

It seems pointless to me to fit mud tyres, then wear them down driving on the road, especially if your doing lots of road miles.

Running road tyres most of the time will mean the truck is quieter, and safer when driving on the road, and when i'm planning on doing some offroading i can swap them out for the muds. Also means the muds will last much longer and will retain their like-new performance for much longer.

I guess it depends on how you use it, but i think if your doing a lot of road miles but still use it offroad, it makes sense to get two sets of rims, instead of making a compromise in either road handling by driving on muds all the time, or offroad performance by using half worn muds or All terrains.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...amp;sortValue=1

http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/advice_offroad.aspx

Tyre selection is a very personal thing and depends on exactly what you what to do with the car and how often etc.

For example, i do alot of heavy towing and require good stability and grip on roads. I am willing to sacrifise a bit of grip in deep mud to get this. I do need good grip on gravel and light off road. I don't like alot of road noise because my van does do a bit of long distance driving at times.

I use pirelli scorpians.

If i only did off road then i'd use bfg m/t

My truck will be getting some nice chunky remoulds for offroad driving (something like Insa Special Tracks) and proper road tyres for driving on the tarmac.

It seems pointless to me to fit mud tyres, then wear them down driving on the road, especially if your doing lots of road miles.

Running road tyres most of the time will mean the truck is quieter, and safer when driving on the road, and when i'm planning on doing some offroading i can swap them out for the muds. Also means the muds will last much longer and will retain their like-new performance for much longer.

I guess it depends on how you use it, but i think if your doing a lot of road miles but still use it offroad, it makes sense to get two sets of rims, instead of making a compromise in either road handling by driving on muds all the time, or offroad performance by using half worn muds or All terrains.

Cant really afford to two sets of wheels and tyres, even a cheap second set, plus they will do more off road than on road. When on the road it won't be doing vast milages but i'd rather it behaved reasonably well!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...amp;sortValue=1

http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/advice_offroad.aspx

Tyre selection is a very personal thing and depends on exactly what you what to do with the car and how often etc.

For example, i do alot of heavy towing and require good stability and grip on roads. I am willing to sacrifise a bit of grip in deep mud to get this. I do need good grip on gravel and light off road. I don't like alot of road noise because my van does do a bit of long distance driving at times.

I use pirelli scorpians.

If i only did off road then i'd use bfg m/t

Towing will probably be at a minimum really. Starting to lean toward the BFG M/T - tho' some of the other suggestions sound interesting.

Cant really afford to two sets of wheels and tyres, even a cheap second set, plus they will do more off road than on road. When on the road it won't be doing vast milages but i'd rather it behaved reasonably well!

Towing will probably be at a minimum really. Starting to lean toward the BFG M/T - tho' some of the other suggestions sound interesting.

I've discovered these Tyres after trawling through the Internet:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m26b0s493p21585

seem to be a good price.

According to some write-ups in the States they perform better in the very wet New Hampshire Mud than BFG's (which apparently work best in drier dirt).

And they seem to work well over here as well according to a few people on our forums:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=24436

If they stay at that sort of price I might give them a try next time I need some new tyres especially as I can get them easily from a local supplier.

Colin

I've discovered these Tyres after trawling through the Internet:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m26b0s493p21585

seem to be a good price.

According to some write-ups in the States they perform better in the very wet New Hampshire Mud than BFG's (which apparently work best in drier dirt).

And they seem to work well over here as well according to a few people on our forums:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=24436

If they stay at that sort of price I might give them a try next time I need some new tyres especially as I can get them easily from a local supplier.

Colin

Hmm, another possible, the list of options grows!

Can I be really cheeky and throw another tyre into the running, that in my opinion is as good, if not better in some situations at a fraction of the price of both.

Have a look at the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m26b0s234p21582

I run these on my 90 and I have to say I am more than well impressed by them, grip in anything and very responsive and quiet road manners.

Can I be really cheeky and throw another tyre into the running, that in my opinion is as good, if not better in some situations at a fraction of the price of both.

Have a look at the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m26b0s234p21582

I run these on my 90 and I have to say I am more than well impressed by them, grip in anything and very responsive and quiet road manners.

Thats the same tyre that SacredDog suggested, thats two votes for the Hankook M/T :D ! I does look like a purposeful tyre tho'.

hmmm, i dunno.

now i dont know if its just me - but they just look like a non directional version of the macho.

take the left hand side of the tread and invert it, so it makes a <<<< shape and you have a directional tyre simillar to macho / insa turbo / yoka geolander......

The macho works exceptionally well because it is a directional tyre and clears mud effectively from BOTH sides of the tyre. The RT03 will only do this on one side when the tyre spins up, the other side will just clog.

i'm still trying to find a UK supplier for the federal couragia MT tyre - http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires...gia-MT-Tire.htm

bit more agressive than your average bfg mt clone but not as daft as a simex-alike, so it wont instantly try and kill you on the road. And they`re pretty cheap too.

post-2947-1239265857.jpg

hmmm, i dunno.

now i dont know if its just me - but they just look like a non directional version of the macho.

take the left hand side of the tread and invert it, so it makes a <<<< shape and you have a directional tyre simillar to macho / insa turbo / yoka geolander......

The macho works exceptionally well because it is a directional tyre and clears mud effectively from BOTH sides of the tyre. The RT03 will only do this on one side when the tyre spins up, the other side will just clog.

You might like to think its a non-directional version of the macho, but, not a chance they are a good bit different! I have used these for about a year now I have had them in all sorts of conditions including lots of mud, and they clear mud very effectively (both sides of the tyre)

They really are a great tyre! and at £40 less than the likes of the BFG or the Cooper you cannot really go wrong in my opinion, and I'll tell you another thing, they stick to rock a dammed site better than any other Mud tyre I have seen working.