best option for fuel for a twin tank

i've been umming an areing about the best way to run both tanks.

my first thought was to run it on an electric pump from back tank to front tank then front tank to engine

but have woundered weather or not to plumb it to the lift pump with an on off ball valve or similar on the tanks to switch between ones to be used, so i dont end up having to use both tanks all the time have not looked into it yet as only thought of it today before. i think i read once something out of a veg kit may do the trick

anyone any other thoughts

or any other idea's but has to be 100% reliable an be able to be bodged if it tuned out not to be :)

dave

Hi Dave

I'd do ith the way you said and keep both tanks in use, otherwise you run the risk of having a rarely used tank getting loads of condensation and stale diesel in so when you do use it again it washes it all into your engine. For complete reliability you could run a separate feed from your rear tank with a valve in to bypass the front tank if necessary?

Mike

cheers for the quick reply mike

am i right in thinkin this is what you mean for the rear tank feed straight to the lift pump, with a valve in both lines to use which ever but keep in use both tanks.

the only wounder i have with using both tanks all the time is if one drains fast that the other but not sure if this will happen if there joined to gether pre lift pump but only just before

dave

i think he means your first suggestion

Filler to the rear tank, a transfer pump from the rear tank to the front tank, then the engine running off the front tank.

The only think you'd have to watch is some form of cutoff or return for the transfer pump, as if the front tank is full and your trying to pump more fuel into ti, bad **** happens...

With a twin or triple tank set up , use the biggest tank as the main , and pump from other tank to main which supplies engine . You can switch pump on when level in main tank goes below point that allows enough room to take all contents of aux tank . That way you are using fuel before its old. also no risk of overflowing . I have used this system for more than 30 yrs , it also gets over the problems you always get when using switch over in diesel vehicles . eg possibility of air getting into system needing to bleed out . You also know accurately what quantity of fuel you have left eg whole aux tank full or two . You also only have one hp pump in system which is cheaper to replace , depending on what fuel you are running eg pet or diesel JMHO

I run a rear tank with a transfer pump into the filler neck, then down into the front tank. The filler neck is also a fabricated Y the main tube down to the front tank and a side filler tube down to the rear tank. This allows me to fill one or both tanks from one filler cap. It also leaves the front tank/lift pump/engine plumbing intact. (There are several threads on here describing this in detail) An advantage of this setup is that when the transfer pump fills up the front tank, the fuel level rises up the filler neck and then drains back down the other side of the Y into the rear tank, so you cannot overfill the front. I fill up, drain and refill both tanks together to keep the fuel fresh.

cheers richard they were the two threads that inspired me to pull me finger out an do it properly an stop messing with jerry cans, the Y section on the filler i think is the best option for the reasons you mentioned what have you made yours out of, the plan was to chop the old one and weld extra bits of pipe for the rear tank

dave