Fuel hose diameter

If I wished to replace the fuel lines in my 1987 2.5 petrol 90 is there any reason why i shouldn't replace the hard lines with flexible rubber fuel hose?

Assume that the hose will be routed away from danger and hot exhausts with cable ties etc.

That being the case does anyone know what the appropriate size would be 1/4", 5/16" or 3/8"?

The reason I'm considering this is because I'm pretty sure I have a fuel restriction somewhere. I was on my way to Newbury on Sunday and if I sat at 60mph+ for more than a few minutes the engine started dying as if starved of fuel, the car returned to normal if you backed off. No problems at all with driving in town below 50mph.

Dismantled the car (weber 32/34), even tried removing the fuel filter behind the outrigger... no joy.

Lastly I tried taking the in tank electric fuel pump out (when I got home) the filter sock on the botton of the pump was pretty manky so I cleaned it with Carb cleaner but I haven't tried the car since. Can the filter sock be replaced?

Alternatively is there a minimum flow rate I should be getting?

If I wished to replace the fuel lines in my 1987 2.5 petrol 90 is there any reason why i shouldn't replace the hard lines with flexible rubber fuel hose?

Assume that the hose will be routed away from danger and hot exhausts with cable ties etc.

That being the case does anyone know what the appropriate size would be 1/4", 5/16" or 3/8"?

The reason I'm considering this is because I'm pretty sure I have a fuel restriction somewhere. I was on my way to Newbury on Sunday and if I sat at 60mph+ for more than a few minutes the engine started dying as if starved of fuel, the car returned to normal if you backed off. No problems at all with driving in town below 50mph.

Dismantled the car (weber 32/34), even tried removing the fuel filter behind the outrigger... no joy.

Lastly I tried taking the in tank electric fuel pump out (when I got home) the filter sock on the botton of the pump was pretty manky so I cleaned it with Carb cleaner but I haven't tried the car since. Can the filter sock be replaced?

Alternatively is there a minimum flow rate I should be getting?

1/4" or 6mm I.D. should be OK, I think that's the size that goes to the carb.

It certainly sounds like fuel starvation. I'd suggest you try it again now you've cleaned the filter. I think that filter can be replaced but I'm sure someone else would be able to confirm whether that's true or not.

Before replacing the fuel lines there are a few other things you could try. First of all try disconnecting the fuel lines from the tank and carburettor and blowing them through with compressed air. You will have to disconnect the fuel filter to do this as it will restrict the air flow.

You say you can't get the filter behind the outrigger off, try by-passing it with a short length of hose and a couple of in-line connectors. The fuel pump could also be worn and not delivering enough fuel.

Can't help you in terms of flow rate I'm afraid.

HTH

Mark.